Magnet Kitchens

I have not walked into a Magnet showroom for 20 or more years.
Visited our local one last week and was surprised by the apparent quality of some of their more premium kitchens. Brought home the catalogue and thought nothing more of it.
Today I flick through the book and see lots of pictures of dozens of kitchens, but ABSOLUTELY NO BASIC INFORMATION. Basic information such as standard carcass sizes and shape options is utterly absent in both the catalogue and the web.
What I want is some simple technical data and what I get is a load of awkward to use "Wizards", and not even the most rudimentary kitchen layout designer page.
Are Magnet losing it, or is this simply the way things are in the 21st century?
On 23/01/18 19:18, Vortex12 wrote:

Been standard on car manufacturers websites for years.
All websites and brochures are now designed by 'creatives' to be 'content free' but alluring.
Since the customers can't think and can't do sums, anything else is a waste.
Think of it as a logical extenshun of the stayet edyou cayshun cistem.

Or not really bothered about the DIY market?
If not then why do they put so many adverts on telly and radio about buying your kit kitchen from them? No I think you basically have to just go and measure the bloody things. I'd have thought in these days of standards, everyone would make the units the same size? Also where does one, these days get appliances like hobs ovens washing machines that can be used by somebody with no sight. Everything has bloody touch screens... bah humbug. Brian
--
----- -
On 23/01/2018 20:48, Brian Gaff wrote:

Our Bosch oven has big knobs to control its main functions. I agree that the timer would be no use to you, though.
Is there no little gadget that you can point at these displays and which reads them out to you?
On 24/01/2018 08:05, GB wrote:

Like a smart phone... with a touch screen!
--
Cheers,

John.
On 23/01/2018 20:24, newshound wrote:

Lots of info on www.diykitchens.co.uk but not exactly DIY prices. There may be a large discount if you are in the trade.
On Tuesday, 23 January 2018 22:45:46 UTC, dennis@home wrote:

Just what you'd expect from a DIY store 😕

DIY skills have vanished over the last generation (25 years or so). Very few people under 50 can do any DIY, and as for installing a kitchen, I think that's probably out of scope for 99% who still do actually do DIY. Sad...
--
Andrew Gabriel
[20 lines snipped]

It is. I have put in two kitchens and two bathrooms in the past, but would likely not do it again, partly due to age. Next "big" project; air conditioning in our bedroom.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 24th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184
On 24/01/18 16:34, Huge wrote:

4 kitchens 5 bathrooms

Josef Stalin

2 kitchens and 2 bathrooms (and helped with several others).
2 lots of aircon (outdoor unit can be bloody heavy).
--
Andrew Gabriel

Jesus, a DIY dicksize contest.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 24th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184
On 24/01/2018 22:05, Huge wrote:

Not sure I can remember them all, which is possibly more worrying...
I think its 6 kitchens, and by the time I have done the bathrooms I am doing now, it will be about 9 bathrooms (where one of those is the sum of many bits of ones I have done for others)
--
Cheers,

John.

[21 lines snipped]

Don't you tend to have 3 or 4 of something (say, pop-up wastes) left and no taps? I know I seem to have a lot of duplication in my "plumbing odds and sods" box.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 25th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184
On 25/01/2018 09:59, Huge wrote:

Kind of, but I keep enough stock of basic plumbing bits that I can do most smaller jobs from stock. Same goes for electrical accessories.
Having said that I have had a pair of WC connectors sat in a drawer for many years, but finally found a use for one the other day - so now the one I bought which turned out to be to short can go back in the drawer to replace it ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.
writes:

but you don't need to actually do any DIY if what you want to do is "design" the kitchen yourself and get a friendly tradesman in to do it for you
tim

On Wednesday, 24 January 2018 17:39:43 UTC, tim... wrote:

ion such

be

.

gn"

I reckon that's beyond the current generation
NT
On 24/01/2018 16:32, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
<snipped> > DIY skills have vanished over the last generation (25 years or so).

I put our last kitchen in about 25 years ago when money was tight. (And the heating, plumbing etc.) Far better, IMO, to pay someone to do it more quickly and to a higher standard. If I ever retired, DIY would become mainstream again, but for now, it's essentially limited to repairs and small jobs.
Cheers
--
Clive

The problem with that is, so far as I am concerned, at the age of nearly 64 I no longer wish to struggle with baths, shower cubicles and worktops. I'm still doing minor DIY, though.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 24th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184