Magnet Kitchens

presumably that's before the tradesman discount.

tim

Reply to
tim...

Presumably all geared up to have you use their professional design service!

Reply to
John Rumm

Like a smart phone... with a touch screen!

Reply to
John Rumm

Haven't checked recently but they used to have a tradesman only policy and will send you away if you are a domestic customer and start to ask prices

tim

Reply to
tim...

What got me was the nonsensical prices of their appliances

They have high headline prices for cabinets though there's always some

30-50% off deal available. But the small print for that says "not applicable to appliances".

But why would I pay 750 pounds for a standard fridge freezer, that even the most expensive high street shop sells for 400 (and online I can get for

279).

Been some time since I looked, so this may have changed.

tim

Reply to
tim...

Actually in this case I do not envisage doing the installation, so am not averse to a "full service" proposal.....which appears to be the vogue these days.

The quality of the hardware is critical so kicking the tyres is important.

Will see what they have to say!

Reply to
Vortex13

I don't think they are quite so fussy these days. Had a Howdens rep cold call(*) some time last year, left catalogues and "trade account" application form.

Probably stopped due to the dumpy bags out side and looked the windows at a bare plasterd spaces full of "stuff"...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

IIRC Howdens units are factory built ie they come as units ready to be fitted not as flat pack to be assembled and then fitted. Makes sense for a "trade" installer, they don't want to waste time assmebling units. The snag is you need somewhere to put the units...

Are the Wickes units flat pack or pre-built?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice
[15 lines snipped]

Their "professional design service" was the one that was rude to us.

Hopefully, Magnet will go out of business and they'll all lose their jobs.

Reply to
Huge

Just what you'd expect from a DIY store ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

They do a range of flat pack ones available in-store. Just about to buy some. They'll deliver free of charge for the sort of money you are likely to be spending.

Reply to
GB

Some years back, may be 8/9, when we were looking around for our kitchen, we looked at Wickes. I wasn't impressed.

Magnet seemed quite good.

We also looked at Ikea, they were better and I someone we knew had got one and swore by it. However, we decided on a local company which had, as still has, a very good reputation. A neighbour had one fitted just before us and they spoke very highly of them. The only issues we've had have been the appliances- AEG. We had 'everything'- oven, combi microwave oven, dishwasher, induction hob, fridge, freezer (both under the bench), the hood isn't AEG- I can't recall the make. The microwave was a PIA at first, it was all but replaced. The dishwasher was also a PIA and gave up the ghost just out of the 5 year warranty. The hinges on the fridge and freezer have failed several times, as have other bits. The main oven, hood, and the hob have been fine. The AEG hinges are about £40 each, although you can get then elsewhere for less. I'd not buy AEG again. Current dishwasher is a SMEG which seems OK. We've tried Bosch, not impressed- it lasted about 3 years.

The best appliances we've ever had were an Ariston Washing machine- 17 years, with a new door seal and maybe a door switch- and a Tricity Microwave, also something like 17 years, with a couple of O rings to replace the drive belt. It was still working when we disposed of it due to being 'tatty'. The Ariston coped with the washing for the children when small so got a lot of use in its later years. I suspect it would have lasted longer but for our moving house- I thing it took a 'bump' and then main bearing started to leak.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I had one installer claim that his time saved (and hence not paid for) in not making up the units would cover the extra cost

It didn't

tim

Reply to
tim...

I have a namesake who is a kitchen installer who obviously wanted the email address I was already using so was offered - and accrepted - the name with '2' appended to it.

Howdens missed off the 2 on a few occasions with the result that I got his quotations!

High prices, as you say - before knocking off his trade discount of around 80%!

I did consider keeping them at one time so that, if I wanted to deal with them for any reason, I'd demand his discount!

Reply to
Terry Casey

No, it was the whole deal. About 50% more expensive, and I just couldn't be arsed with the whole obfuscatory affair.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Could be worse. This is, I promise, a true story.

My sister had a Homebase kitchen fitted by one of their contractors while she was at work. Everything looked splendid, till she went into the next door room to see the ends of the fixings protruding into the room.

While I love her dearly, I still almost weep with mirth when I imagine her reaction.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Tee-hee.

We never even got as far as ordering a kitchen from Magnets.

I can't recall the "soto voce" comment the kitchen designer made, but it was such that I vowed never to go in there again. And I cancelled the order for some wall cabinets we had with them.

Reply to
Huge

Is there something 'unusual' about the walls in her house? Even a single layer breeze block wall must be 4" thick, then there is the plaster etc. They must have used very long screws!

Reply to
Brian Reay

DIY skills have vanished over the last generation (25 years or so). Very few people under 50 can do any DIY, and as for installing a kitchen, I think that's probably out of scope for 99% who still do actually do DIY. Sad...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel
[20 lines snipped]

It is. I have put in two kitchens and two bathrooms in the past, but would likely not do it again, partly due to age. Next "big" project; air conditioning in our bedroom.

Reply to
Huge