Magnet = repulsive?

Put in a Magnet kitchen 23 years ago, and now all the joints are coming apart.

So much for their claim that the cabinets are craftsmen made as opposed to the flat-pack assembly stuff, because it's all chipboard which is (was) all held together by glue, using butt joints

Reply to
gareth

But did they claim that 23 years ago?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

normally fixable with those plastic blocks

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, well, the basic problem is the chipboard itself. No matter how you attempt to join it, get any damp inside and its days are numbered.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

If you've only just discovered the defect, and can prove it was present at the time of manufacture, you could try suing, or a claim against the credit card under Section 75 :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Which is what we do, but do not expect to have to on a supposedly quality product

Reply to
gareth

Which raises the question as to its suitability in the steamy atmosphere of a kitchen!

Reply to
gareth

Ours has a window

Reply to
stuart noble

Chipboard fixings are as much for precise locating when assembling as they are for structural strength. That said, they have worked incredibly well in service over the decades. Chip has allowed millions of families to afford modern hygienic kitchens which last a lifetime if not abused or immersed in water

Reply to
stuart noble

Ours has a windows and a fan. But they also sell kitchen style units made of chipboard for bathrooms - I bet they don't last long.

When I was doing the kitchen I told my old lady neighbour that it would be open to the back room, and she said "won't you get grease over everything ? ". I can only imagine how she was cooking! Mind you she just had an old fas hioned standalone cooker, and used to deep fry in an open pan.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

chipboard carcass and quality are not compatible.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I wouldn't expect more than 1 in 100,000 to last a lifetime.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

I don't really think that is correct. Chip for kitchen carcasses is about the best compromise available and, if taken care of, will last for years, as Stuart said.

Our kitchen, which came with the house, must be at least 30 years old now, and looks awful, with melamine wood effect doors that don't close properly, drawers that don't run well, s**te worktop etc. However, none of the problems are caused by the carcasses themselves, which are still solid as a rock. New drawer fronts, doors and worktop will transform this kitchen. One day ...

Reply to
News

Mine are now about 30 years old and arrived ready assembled. They are ridged and fit well. I recently took one base unit out and fitted castors to make a mobile worktop and it is still as strong as the day it went in. Chipboard is fine if its used properly.

Reply to
dennis

Just how many years were you expecting ffs?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

"used properly" and installed in a *normal* household.

Reply to
stuart noble