I recently moved to condo that had black specks around drain in bathtub. I determined it was Black Mold. It was so bad I decided to replace the whole drain. After removing the drain I noticed the installer used putty to coat the plastic threads and as a ring seal. This putty failed and set up a cozy home for the black mold to launch an attack on the whole drain. Well, I am having real trouble cleaning the black mold off the plastic tub threads and wonder if the mold may have damaged the threads. Should I just replace the whole tub? Looking for experienced advice. Thanks much! -- Alex
On Oct 23, 2:50 pm, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
I can't imagine replacing an entire tub just because of mold on some
Killing the mold with bleach shouldn't be a problem, even if some
BTW..are you sure that the tub itself is threaded? I've repaired and/
or replaced a few tubs and tub drains and I don't think I've ever seen
a tub that was threaded. Usually the fixtures are threaded and are
secured with a large nut after being inserted into a non-threaded
hole. I'm not saying threaded tubs don't exist, I'm simply saving I've
never seen one.
On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:45:18 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Now that I look closer it is a fixture thread bolted from bottom. The rubber is black (why would they use a black washer???). Looks like I got most of the Black Mold. Will give the threads another bleach application.
On Oct 23, 3:37 pm, email@example.com wrote:
Unless you are paranoid, or drink water out of the bathtub, who
worries about mold on a drain that is below the working portion of a
bathtub? Either there is water going down the drain, or the drain is
closed and the tub is filling up, or the drain is closed and the tub
is empty. The mold isn't going to jump up out of the tub!!!!
> Now that I look closer it is a fixture thread bolted from bottom. The
> rubber is black (why would they use a black washer???). Looks like I
> got most of the Black Mold. Will give the threads another bleach
To be honest, I think the fear of "Black Mold" is more driven by money
than it is by anything else. As long as people are willing to pay big
bucks to eliminate black mold from their homes, there will be people
overstating the potential health problems those molds can cause to keep
that money rolling in.
Yes, you can get really sick, have internal organs fail or even die from
ingesting "mycotoxins" from certain kinds of fungii, but those kinds of
health problems only happen when you ingest huge amounts of those
mycotoxins, and that usually means eating the wrong kind of mushrooms.
There's lots of people that have molds growing all over their basement
and bathroom walls, and never give it a second thought. I wouldn't
worry about any black stuff you see growing in the wet areas of your new
condo unless you have good solid reason to suspect that it's affecting
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.