Removing Black Mold from Bathroom Subfloor

An elderly relative either didn't realize or ignored the fact that the supply line to her toilet was dripping...maybe for over a year. Anyway, the tile floor cracked, the grout wore away, and I ended up ripping the tile up as well as replacing the flexi-pipe.

We laid down one of those DIY "wall-to-wall" bathroom carpets for the winter, but I'd really like to cover the plywood with linoleum now it's summer and the adhesive won't stink up the house. My question:

1) What if any chemical solvent can remove black mold without permanently sinking into the subflooring (this bathroom is a "powder room" off a master bedroom, where the elderly relative sleeps); and 2) Will linoleum placed over old tile adhesive be too lumpy? I know the answer to this second question sounds obvious, but I'm wondering if I can buy some adhesive thick enough to even out the ancient "stripes" from the groat/adhesive float.

Thanks for posts or email--or helpful links.

Reply to
tioga 0630

Bleach will kill it , it will stink for a while, use a garden sprayer, it may take a few soakings.

Reply to
m Ransley

I would use lysol spray too after the bleach because this is a poruous material situation and there is no ideal fix. Hopefully the 2 used separately (not together) will take care of the mold permanently.

Reply to
Art

Sorry - The only real fix is to cut out and replace the damaged subfloor. The mold has no doubt gone to places that no chemical is ever likely to reach.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Spray Chlorox on the mold. Repeat if necessary until it is gone. Wear white clothes. Close door behind you after spraying and let it sit for a few hours.

Reply to
Yaofeng

Sure there is: Don't use linoleum, use poured epoxy, after killing the mold.

Reply to
default