tires: how to cut

What is the best tool to use for cutting up tires? I need some tire walls as well as treads for a project. I have several types of power saws. Frank Georgia My correct e-mail address is gno52 (not gn52) Fake adddress given to avoid spams

Reply to
Frank Thompson

Sawsall, dont use a circular, it can jump and cut you

Reply to
m Ransley

That's SawzAll, Ransley. Anyhow, it's an effective tool for hacking up old tires. The Super SawzAll is better for this chore because of the trick anti-recoil mechanism, but the standard tool isn't too bad. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I had one experience with cutting tires. I was a commercial diver. We has boats that used to get all sorts of things in their propellers. Wire rope. Nylon rope. Survey cable. Lots of goodies.

I went down on one dive to find a 20" tire around the flutes of a large prop. I worked myself into a sweat trying to horse it off. We got a hydraulic powered sawzall, and the thing just shook us around underwater. We finally decided to put a 5" line on it, and try to pop it off using another boat pulling on it. We were concerned about pulling out the propeller shaft.

One good tug, and she popped off. When we got the tire to the surface, you could barely tell where we were cutting.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I don't know about power tools but I know that a hacksaw with a new blade will eventually succeed. .

Reply to
PJx

the sidewalls can be cut with an exacta knife, and the treads can be cut using metal shears.

Reply to
Punch

Use a non-radial tire.

Reply to