Black mold around window

A window question for the kind folks here:

I have aluminum picture windows that were installed around 1982. Moisture builds up on them when it's cold out, and black mold appears on the caulking on the bottom edge and lower sides, where moisture ends up thanks to gravity.

I removed some caulk and replaced it, but it's moldy again. On the web I've found ways to remove black mold, but is there a substance that I could put on the caulk to slow the buildup? The house is well-sealed and so moisture builds up easily inside.

Any other anti-black mold/moisture tips would be helpful. Thanks.

(remove "unwanted hair" to reply)

Reply to
Charles Martin in Seattle

I had the same problem, I found that most products that are 'mild resistant' are only so resistant.

So, address the by trying to remove the moisture, or minimize the amount that collects. I installed a timer for bathroom fans, so we would use them more often. Also have a dehumidifier in the basement to keep the most humid space 50% or less.

By taking the steps to reduce mosure, regular lysol on a clean rag does wonders cleaning up any mildew, and preventing growth for a while.

hth,

tom @

Tom The Great

are you sure its 'black mold' and not mildew?

Reply to
dnoyeB

see:

buffalobill

Keep a spray bottle full of laundry bleach handy, spray whenever you see mold, you realy need better windows,

Reply to
m Ransley