big glass magnifying magnifiers

My old aunt's 95th birthday is coming up. She likes huge magnifying glasses (for obvious reasons of old eyes). Of course they get heavy that big but plastic scratches too easily. Do you know of any 4 to 6 inch or thereabouts good _glass_ magnifiers?

Reply to
knuttle

Would some sort of electronic gizmo be ok for her? The guys on sci.electronics.design might have an idea or two. They're engineers so they might need visual aids for themselves.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

There are a dozen available on Amazon alone. Yes, with _glass_ lens.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

This isn't likely to be a solution for her but maybe it will spark an idea. I use the camera on my phone. I set the zoom to about 3x or maybe

4x and it works a treat, as they say.
Reply to
Jim Joyce

Hi, just saw your messages. Have you checked out your local dollar store, by any chance? I have bought 3 from my local dollar store and

2 were crap, but one is super excellent quality and works a treat. It's about 4" in diamter, so not too shabby. It is of a good glass magnifier and not too heavy. The other 2 are glass but one thing I found is that the 3" one has a glass that isn't straight, its sides are both sort of bowed so that in looks like a convex glass on either side. Not good. The excellent working one is more straight.

Good luck!

Reply to
NGuser

My eyes are 20/40 but some things are small and I need a magnifying glass sometimes. I brought on on my last long trip, and decided I needed a second one for the car! To know where I'm going.

Glass and very hard to keep spots off. I wet the glass with spit and rubbed and all the spots are still there, enough to make it very hard to see what I"m lokoing at. Finally tried it four more times, rubbing really hard on the glass, nad they finally came clean. Windows are not that hard to clean afaicr. Maybe the glass is different, 4 different designs, all with difficulty.

Reply to
micky

Nope. ... but we are not your 90 year old Granny. My 5 x loupe is my go-to ; it's not large. John T.

Reply to
hubops