Best standard soundproofing material ?

Hi, I have 3 x 4 ft window that I want to soundproof against road noise etc. I've cut a 3 x 4' 1/2 inch particle board insert as step 1, and I'm need to determine the best soundproofing material to tack to one side of it.

I'm only looking for standard stuff I can get at Lowes or HD, and it can be up to several inches thick.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to
Chopper45

Foam rubber from a fabric store/Micheals would work. You would not need the particle board either. Measure the window and the thickness and have some one cut it for you. I will not comment on what it will look like to your neighbors. Or for that matter inside

Reply to
SQLit

Concrete board. The heavier the material the better it will reduce the transmitted sounds.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I would use rigid Styrofoam, it cuts quite easily with a utility knife. I would use it alone depending on friction fit without the particle board. You would get 2 pieces out of one 4x8 sheet. If you are going to glue it to itself or anything else, make sure to buy the panel adhesive for foam, the regular stuff will eat it. DAMHIKT.

noise etc.

and it can be

Reply to
DanG

What is uses commercially is a fibrous stuff like fiberglass insulation covered by a dense, resilient membrane. One good membrane is lead loaded vinyl. Some applications that can't use lead use barium loaded vinyl which is expensive.

Reply to
Larry Silkaitis

Stuff old clothes in there.

Death to the christian government.

go away you commie bastard. just remember................we let your sorry ass in here. without christians.............the world would have been destroyed already.

Reply to
Bohemian Rhapsody

Blow it out your ass capitalist scum sucking maggot.

Death to the Supreme Court.

Mass is the key. Things like fiberglass, styrofoam, etc. will not stop transmitted sound effectively. Cement board, wallboard, particle board are the best cheapest materials. Just make sure it is well secured. If you want to get fancy, you could glue together a sandwich with two layers of wallboard and a layer of fiberboard in the middle.

Reply to
Heathcliff Bambino

The link to what you need to know is at:

What we've read here is "Guess-timates" of what people THINK will work! (It won't).

BJ

Reply to
BJ Nash