Best non-clog toilet

They make some kind of power assist flush. I've used them in hotels, but I don't know how they work.

We've been in this house 15 years, and had one clog. The kids are grown now, but back then they had friends over and something got flushed that shouldn't have. I'm sure you know what I mean. These are older American Standard toilets.

In Germany the toilets were super low flow because water was extremely expensive. But I don't remember every plunging there either.

Reply to
TimR

I have never had a low flow toilet that plugged up as much as the old "full flow" ones did.

Reply to
Bob F

Clogging is not the only problem with many toilets. Those that use forced flush aren't always the best in cleaning the bowl. The gravity fed ones that fill up the bowl first work much better in that respect.

At work a ton of forced flush Kohlers were installed and it seems there is no water jet right where it's needed the most for those who splatter. Any toilet you go to has skid marks in it until the janitors come around once a week.

Reply to
badgolferman

When we lived and worked in Germany, every toilet had a cleaning brush next to it. If you left skid marks you were supposed to be considerate enough to take care of it.

In one building where I worked, the exhaust fan came on when you shut a toilet stall door, not when you entered the bathroom. It was a repurposed barracks, now engineering offices, so there was a row of stalls. I always thought that was taking energy efficiency to an extreme.

Reply to
TimR

My brother bought an expensive house in Texas which I think his wife remodeled, and she or the predecessor put in fancy toilets, imported or something, looking basically like Elger or Kohler but something was different because there was always residue on the bottom of the bowel if you did more than pee. If it had been my house I would have made the remodeller, if he had recommended them, take them out. But I was a visitor so I didn't say anything. Paying extra for something not nearly as good. Ugh. -- These were tank toilets so water pressure was not the cause of the problem.

Reply to
micky

My original $60 cheap toilet never clogged but when I replaced it with a new one a few years ago, it clogged several times a year.

I had a plumber here yesterday who I had asked to put in a new toilet that was not likely to ever clog. He looked at the one here and laughed, He said it probably barely used a gallon and it was designed to look real nice and pretty. The exhaust route had an odd bend that he said was likely to have cause the problem.

He put in a decent, generic looking one that should work better. He also replaced the innards with stuff NOT designed for water saving but to give about two gallons a flush.

The whole thing was done at a price I could easily afford.

The first plumber I called said $2000 After I stopped laughing, he said he was not joking.

Then when I showed him the door, I said I'm not joking either

Reply to
philo

On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 12:39:10 -0500, philo posted for all of us to digest...

No shit?

Reply to
Hiram T Schwantz

On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 11:43:37 -0500, philo posted for all of us to digest...

I had a Chroma (Australian) Never clogged. I had bathroom remodeled and plumber installed American Standard Champion - two clogs so far.

The wax ring: the ones with cones supposedly clog more frequently - yes that is what the plumber installed.

I researched this and in the past the Toto Drake was the goto. Lots of accessories, if so inclined. Now it is the Gerber Viper. Let us know what you decide on.

Reply to
Hiram T Schwantz

When I was stationed in Germany, the toilet bowls did not have water in them, just a slab that did not always clear by flushing.

I do not know if that was standard for all of Germany. I was housed in a former Nazi compound. It creeper me out but I got used to it

Reply to
philo

I was in Germany 2003-2008 courtesy of my employer.

Regular toilets had water. They didn't use much per flush, as water (and electricity) were horrendously expensive. (and gasoline, about $9.50 per gallon when I was there, but the funds were used for maintenance, and there wasn't a pothole on the highway from one end of the country to the other).

But portajohns! They had the "inspection shelf," a stainless steel flat piece that you made a deposit on, and then when you pulled the lever it rotated and dumped it down below.

The Hauptbahnhof (main train station) where I lived had a wall toilet for men, a long wall with a continuous flow of water cascading down into a trough.

Also it was not uncommon to see men or women pulled over on a B road highway doing a quick pitstop. Nobody was offended or self conscious about it.

Reply to
TimR

So far, so good with the new toilet. Brand name is Mansfield. Generic as can be. The previous one was more designed to look nice but it had a funny bend that was evidently causing the problem. I forgot the brand already but a Google search shows it's no longer manufactured.

Reply to
philo