Best glass for soundproofing?

I have a few interior windows of the old, double-hung type. They transmit a lot of sound from the outside into a bedroom and living room. In short, the dog next door and slamming car doors are intrusive.

Instead of installing expensive double-glazed storm windows, I thought I'd try to attach some glass over the window from the inside. I never open these windows, so no problem there. Perhaps just a piece of glass I could lay over the window and affix with mirror-type fittings.

I'd appreciate any information about the best glass for reducing sound, or any other material that might even do a better job. Websites articles or any recommendations welcome.

(to the list, please)

RG

Reply to
Richard Gecko

The best glass for reducing sound is laminated glass, which is two sheets of glass with a thin sheet of another material in-between. This keeps out sound even better than insulated glass. Often, laminated glass can be fitted into existing windows but it depends.

Dimitri

Reply to
D. Gerasimatos

I've found that glass without any holes in it is usually the best glass to use.

Reply to
Matt

I did just that ,put a layer of wood between the panes, quiet as a mouse although cant see diddly squat.....mjh

Reply to
mike hide

i would reconsider this idea, it's not very practical and could be potentially dangerous.

mike........

Reply to
JerseyMike

Reply to
Bennett Price

Several ways to do this,

An alternative to replacing the existing window with a double or triple pane glass acoustical window, (a noise reduction of about

30%-70%), or to add another interior window, (90%) is to make a removable soundproofing "plug" to fill the frame and to block the sound coming through the window. (Also 90%) While this will also block light, it won't matter if the window is a bedroom and noise is keeping you from using your room or sleeping. If light is wanted for day use, make the plug removable. It can then be removed to allow light to enter the room.

Try

BJ Nash Super Soundproofing Senior Technical Advisor Super Soundproofing Co.

Ph: (760) 752-3030 FAX: (760) 752-3040 E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@soundproofing.org TOLL FREE: (888) 942-7723

Visit us at:

BJ Nash

Something to think about is it should be very easily removed. The window may be your escape route in case of a fire.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski