BBQ Propane Tank

If your grill is like mine, the regulator is on the hose, not the tank itself. So it can't be a regulator problem. I would say that the one tank is just about empty.

Reply to
Andy

Sometimes when that happens to my grill, I shut off the burner valves, and relight the grill and it works fine again. It seems like something was blocking the lines going to the burner intermittently.

Reply to
Mikepier

Does the tank have the 3 sided top valve? Or the round one.

The new and improved, protect the people from themselves 3 sided tanks have an extra set of valves for tip overs.

Shut off the controls on the grill, shut off the valve on the tank. Wait 10 minutes and then open the tank then the control valves. My brother taught me about this one when I mistakenly upgraded my grill.

Have you checked to see if the tank is low?

Reply to
SQLit

I have a BBQ propame tank that doesn't let a full stream of propane reach the burners; i.e., even on wide open (tank and burners) the flame burns low. I don't have this problem with another tank. Is something wrong with the tank regulator and can it be fixed.

Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Combs

That is because something WAS blocking the gas flow. The new tanks with OPD valves suffer from this when very full and the valve is opened quickly. The overflow protection device impedes gas flow. Shutting it off and slowly opening will usually take care of it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

My wife does this all the time; From the owners manual that came with my Weber grill: "WARNING: The burner control knobs must be in the OFF position before turning on the liquid propane cylinder tank valve. If they are not in the OFF position, when you turn on the LP cylinder valve, the "excess gas flow control" feature will activate, limiting the flow of gas from the LP cylinder. If this should occur, turn OFF the LP cylinder valve and burner control knobs. Then start over"

It you turn on the burner knobs first and then the tank, this gas flow control feature kicks in and the grill lights normally, but it won't get hot. If you open the valve on the tank and *THEN* turn on the burner knobs, the grill works fine.

John

Reply to
John‰]

Ah, yes, just reboot and let the software load.....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

All of you gentlemen have been very helpful. The tank is full and it must be the OPD unit in the tank. I'll try it today and see if I can get it working. The grill is a Weber which is about 3 years old. I gave up on the Sunbeams and CharBroils. The $500 I paid was the best money I've ever spent.

Thanks again.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Combs

I've had the problem you described when the tank was over-filled. Had a gas guy tell me just to vent the tank (PLEASE! NOT NEAR AN OPEN FLAME!!!) for about 15 seconds and then try it again......

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Eureka, it now works! Thanks to all of you.

Reply to
Dave Combs