Basement bathroom - what maintenance needed?

Hi all,

I'm trying to buy a spec home with one of the nationwide builders. One of their most expensive options is a full bathroom in the basement. I don't really have any use for a bathtub in the basement but a powder room would be nice. These guys are not very flexible in their options. it's either bathtub or nothing.

So I'm trying to decide if I even need to bother with the whole plumbing in the basement thing. I never had a bathroom below grade before. I understand that there is a pump that has to be kept on all the time (or when someone flushes?). If you have experience with this, please post here about what upkeep is required for this setup. I guess, you can't send an auger through it when it clogs either. So my main question is: "is it even worth the trouble to have a bathroom in the basement?"

\\//.

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 296665 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
DA

It will require a small pit with a plastic tank and macerator pump. When you use water, the pit fills and the pump turns on and empties it out your waste pipe. They don't require maintenance until they fail. I would only do it, if you have a need or believe it will help for resale

Reply to
RBM

Thank you for your suggestions RBM. I am a little skeptical about things that don't need maintenance. My upstairs bathroom does not have any additional equipment such as the pump yet still needs periodic maintenance due to clogging. So, I would follow your advise and skip the bathroom since I'm not looking for resale (not in foreseeable future anyways) and the need is not all that great. Thanks again.

\\//.

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 296804 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
DA

Much of that stuff is pre-fab and not easily changed. Cost of doing your house different can cost more, even with less in it.

Are you sure it is truly below grade? Do you know the elevation of the septic or sewer lines? Do you have to walk up steps to the front door?

If you have experience with this, please post here

Depends on how bad you have to pee or if there is someone else in the other bathroom.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I realize that. Yet there is nothing they can pre-fabricate in a finished basement because the entire space down there is an option and is constructed on-site. I am guessing it the whole thing with the pump that makes them insist the tub should stay 'cause it probably serves as an overflow reservoir?

The basement is below grade and you do have to go down 8' to get there. I'm not sure what depth the public sewer is at but the pump is an integral part of this option, so I guess the waste has to come up, no matter how high.

There are three more johns in the house :-)

Thanks!

\\//.

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 296862 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
DA

Since its a Nationwide builder and they re building "basement homes" I'm guessing that the lots are set up for sewer. Given that the homes are planned with a basement and bath down there, around here that means that the sewer is below the level of the basement and a pump system wouldn't be required. In Urban/suburbs this is the way it is here..to require a pump etc would indicate the home is "out of town" where most big builders aren't working and perhaps a septic system, neither of which works for big builders, new developments here. No sewer, no basement say the local codes

Rudy

That is where you made your mistake. Go to a real builder, and they will build whatever you want. Go to McDonalds, and you get it their way or no way.

Reply to
aemeijers

From the street, is the front door at the same level? I've seem thousands of houses with "basements" that are actually about grade level and you still have to go down 8 feet to get to them from inside, but the ground has been graded up in the front. The back has a walk out basement. This makes it easy to offer that basement yet have the utilities underground at a reasonable depth.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hmm, What pump? My full bathroom in the basement is seldom used. From now and then I just run some water in the tub and sink to keep the water in the trap.

Reply to
Tony Hwang