bandsaws

For a project I am doing I need a bandsaw. Since nobody seems to rent them, I am considering buying. I have been looking at Delta and wondering if the basic model BS100 9" would be good enough or if I should be thinking of the 28-206 14" at about 4 times the price. What is to be gained from buying the more expensive one besides capacity for cutting larger material that I may never need?

Reply to
dufus

or

The ultimate 14" G0555 is a damn fine saw for $375.00 + $55.00 shipping

Reply to
ChairMan

Check with your local community college, or maybe high school. Many of them have community programs where you can come in after hours to use their equipment. Alternatively, perhaps there is a woodworking club in your area which might help you.

Reply to
C G

By not saying what you are doing nor what you are going to cut, makes any recommendation questionable. What is the project? How thick is your material? Type of material? Size of material? Density of the materaial? Will you be cutting at an angle? Will you need dust collection? Need portability? May a scroll saw be better? Perhaps a hand-held jigsaw will give a better value?

Reply to
Phisherman

The 14 inch bandsaws have been around a good long time, so parts are readily available. Also, you will probably find a much bigger blade selection for

93-1/2 inch blade circumferences, so you can do more with the same machine. And, there are extensions available that will raise the throat capacity from 6 inches to 12 inches, should you ever want to split a 1x12 down the middle.

Most woodworking bandsaws are single speed and are meant for cutting just wood. But for a bit more money you can get a multi-speed unit that will slow way down and cut metal and plastic as well. If you expect to utilize these materials often, then that's something to consider.

Depending on how much cutting you need to do, check at a local woodworking supply store, if there are any near you. Some have fully-equipped shops that they will rent out, or hold classes in. If you only need to make a few dozen cuts, this may be a way to get it done cheaply, and if you find you need a bandsaw for more projects, they may also get a sale out of it.

Reply to
Bob M.

The main project right now is cutting spindles for a railing from

2X6's, each about 2ft long with gradual curves, but there have been many times when I wished I had a bandsaw and didn't. I have tried a hand-held jigsaw, but didn't have very good luck trying to keep the cuts perfectly vertical. Likely any future use will involve similar cutting or with thinner material. I doubt that I will ever be doing resawing, so don't need that capability.

Thank you all for your replies.

Reply to
dufus

A benchtop model with a 1/2 HP motor should do the job you describe. A floor model with more HP is more sturdy and needed for resaw operations. Stay clear of the 3-wheel bandsaws--the blade is more difficult to track and the blade endures more strain than the 2-wheel models. Having a quality blade is very important. A benchtop model will run $250 or less. You can do a lot with a bandsaw. Bandsaws tend to produce a lot of fine dust; I strongly recommend a Dustfoe mask (~$30) to protect your lungs although it won't work well if you have a beard.

Reply to
Phisherman

They may not do that anymore because of liability... The lawsuit happy americans have ruins things like that for everyone...

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

I had similar ideas about what a bandsaw and scroll saw would do to produce a finished edge at the fiirst go. Won't happen. Else it will take forever, by cutting slowly and very carefully, to get anything like the final finished edge you see in the advertisement illustration. Finally decided to buy a sander (belt/disc combo) and that did the trick. Roughly saw close to the desired cut line and sand to finish.

Reply to
klm

They do around here. Only requirement is you take their safety class first.

Reply to
C G

Accuracy! Versatility. Capacity aside, the 9" saw fall into the toy category. If you are making some cutouts on 1/4" wood or plywood, it may be sufficient. If you are getting into more serious work, the 12" or 14" saws are smoother cutting, less blade drift, many more types of blades available.

For a one shot deal, go for cheap or ask around to borrow some time. For long term, spend the extra now for a Delta or Jet saw. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Wouldn't a good sabre saw do what you want? The better ones these days have good rigid blades that make nice vertical cuts. Bosch, Porter-Cable, DeWalt, Milwaukee all have these capabilities. Anything over 1" thick, you should go for the band saw, preferably a 14" size. Don't neglect eBay as a source for good used ones. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

My experience with bandsaws is that the cheaper they are the harder it is to get a straight cut. The 9" Deltas fall into this category. I owned one, even bought a fence, and couldn't get it to cut a straight line. If you need straight cuts get a 14" Delta or Jet. The larger blade and sturdier guides make a huge difference in producing accurate cuts.

Reply to
fatman985

I still haven't decided, but went looking at Home Depot. When I asked about the Ridgid, the woman there asked me, "Which one is the bandsaw?"

Reply to
Alan

You might consider taking this over to misc.woodworking... lots of helpful folks over there.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Burr

Reply to