Balancer replacable for windows?

I just got one estimate in regard to installing 4 'pocket windows' for $200 each. I don't know much about this product...but that sounds too much for 1 window. Am I wrong? They are double hung vinyl windows. The ones that I have, have 'leaks' in each one and trying to pull up or down a sash is very tight. I was wondering if its possible to just replace the balancers. I know that won't settle the leak problems, but at least I do not have to strain my back in operating the windows. The price includes labor. I think I saw an ad for brand new windows for that price, although not sure if it included labor.

Reply to
Boothbay

Depending on the original window design, you may be able to replace the counterbalance. If they are the old style with lead weights, pulleys and a bit of rope, it is not very hard. If they are counterbalanced with springs, it may hard to find the parts and to install them.

If the sash is tight from friction, the counterbalance won't help but if they are just heavy and don't stay in place, repair is a possibility.

Reply to
PipeDown