Asking a quick question to doublecheck clutch engagement in pedal travel

Smart move. In 50 years I have NEVER bench bled a clutch cyl.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The guy isn't from Toyota, and he does not explain how to adjust the clutch - just says it can be done.

Myself? I think he's blowing smoke. Yes, you can adjust the pedal linkage. No,you cannot adjust the clutch. You can only adjust the stroke of the pedal (a weeeeee tiny bit).

Anyone who thinks that is "adjusting the clutch" has NO concept of how the thing actually works.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

As stated before, NO. What does it accomplish? Absolutely NOTHING. It is not required, nor is it advised. I connect the lines, fill the cyl, crack the bleeder on the slave just a wee bit, stroke the bedal 'till I feel resistance, check the fluid level, let it run fluid for a minute or so, then have a helper depress the clutch pedal to the floor and shut the bleeder. About 99 times out of 100, that's all that is required.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

If yopu machine the flywheel it moves the clutch surface closer to the engine, possibly requiring a bit more pedal travel to release - but in my experience as long as the flywheel iis machined properly (any "step" not changed) the clutch works properly. Adding a shim or spacer WILL change the match on the ring-gear/starter - I have NEVER had to install a flywheel spacer on any clutch job I have done.

Like I said previously - Why are you buying a performance clutch from z rock crawler site for your street driven 4 runner? BUY AN OEM REPLACEMENT KIT from either the dealer or any standard automotive jobber - NAPA, Kragens, Pep Boys, etc. You will get a MATCHED SET of OEM quality and specification that WILL work for you. You may need to buy the alignment tool separately. If TOYOTA says change the bolts - change the bolts. If not, not necessary DEFINITEL:Y change the release bearing and the clutch pilot whenever yoiu have a vehicle apart to change a clutch.

You are making a relativeky routine service into rocket science by listening to a bunch of online "experts" who only know what they've heard from other "online experts" who think they know better than the manufacturer, or who beat the crap out of their vehicles - putting them through abuse beyond what they were designed for (and toyota's original design will take a LOT of abuse!!!"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

You are not talking foot lbs, you are talking clamping force in pounds per square inch. Not just apples and oranges, but onions and monkeys comparisson - totally different genus.

Like I said - it is NOT foot l;bs, its pounds per square inch clamping force

BUY OEM SPEC. The toyota engineers chose that particular spec for a reason. If you do not have a SPECIFIC reason to change the spec - DON'T!!.

The guys who play in ther mud and rocks with huge tires MIGHT have a reason to use a clutch with more clamping force if they are routinely smoking the OEM clutch.

You have NO GOOD REASON to change, So DON'T.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Actually it is the pressure plate that has the pound rating.

Reply to
Clare Snyder