Are these floor joists nice or not?

The only problem I see are the gremlins that steal little children. (sorry but only I can see them.)

Reply to
Duff

Look at the other pictures at that site. There appears to be a rug (amongst other debris) under the floor - the particle board floor, in fact.

It also looks like some, or at least *parts* of some, of the joists are on the rug, while others are not. I'm assuming that would have made for a pretty uneven floor. Of course, from the looks of things and the things said in the article, that might have been the least of all the problems.

With all the debris under the floor, it looks like they thought it would easier to build a new floor than the clean the old one!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Should have been a warm dry floor, anyway. Reminds me of the place my kid brother used to own. The floor sloped at least 8 inches across a 12 foot room. The only remedy was to build a new floor over the old, using 2X10s ripped corner to corner in wedges to support the new subfloor.(oddly, the ceiling was pretty well level, so it had to have been built that way, and not sagged after construction)

We figured it had taken a few cases of intoxicants to build the foundation and floor, and a few more to finish the job!!!

Reply to
clare

Hard to tell from the pictures, but my best guess is that the floor the kid went through is a false floor built over an old lumpy or wrong-level floor as part of a hillbilly remodel job. Probably raising the floor on an old converted porch or something. A false floor isn't always a sin, but not pulling up the old carpet first is, as is using particle board as a structural decking. The hole was probably to use the joist space as an air duct, and they hadn't bothered to put a grate over it yet.

As to how the kid got down there- a 1 year old can fit anywhere their head can get through, almost. Poor kid was probably terrified from all the noise and hollering, and that is why she stayed put. As to why the kid went down there- she was probably exploring, like kids do in kitchen base cabinets. I think it is instinct- when you are that small, hiding in small places is your only method of defense.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers