APN news service

Anyone else in this group using this service?? Forte's Agent Premium Newsgroups (APN)

$3 for 12GB a month. I've been on a trial for two months, but haven't really used it so much. But I don't see any problems.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Steve Barker wrote in news:kK2dnb6jU- u30G3RnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Astraweb. I paid $10 for 25GB of download in June 2008. I have 24.22GB still available. Doesn't expire. Service is great.

Reply to
Han

I'll USE whatever i have available, so that particular plan may not be economical for me. I'll look at them though. thanks!

Reply to
Steve Barker

I used them briefly a few years ago when my ISP dropped newsgroups. Never had a problem and never hit the limit.

Once I changed to a different ISP I dropped them with no problems or hassles.

Bottom line: Good deal if it is not included with your ISP package. Free is always better.

Reply to
Colbyt

Individual is about $15 (10EUR) per year. If you don't need binaries it's a good service. Their customer service, the few times its needed is excellent.

Reply to
krw

I use Giganews for my usenet and it is about $8 a month for more than I use (2 gig? 5 gig? ) That is also binary service with pretty good alt.binary.xxx support. More music than I want anyway.

Reply to
gfretwell

I started using it a couple of months ago when cheapskate Cox dropped usenet. No problems so far.

thanks for the reply .. i've been on giganews since i left roadrunner

4+ yrs ago.
Reply to
Steve Barker

so far my binary experience has been good with them. If i didn't need binaries, then i wouldn't need but about a 500MB a decade.

Reply to
Steve Barker

thanks, that's who i'm using now at $3 for 4GB i believe. I'm looking to do some heavy duty binaries.

Reply to
Steve Barker

THANKS!

Reply to
Steve Barker

I switched to them a couple of months ago. As others say, it's working well. I have some confidence of continuity because Forte has been around for a very long time, and their main product is the Agent newsreader, so they have a vested interest in providing a good news feed. Not saying anything against the alternatives that others have mentioned, just my experience.

$3/month will be about 2% of what I spend on communications services (phone, Internet), so it's not worth much to me to try to squeeze a few drops out of it. Someone said "free is always better", but I don't agree. "Free" usually means "advertising supported", which means the vendor's primary allegiance is to the advertiser, not to the user. In most cases, I'd rather pay and get the vendor's undivided attention.

Edward

Reply to
Edward Reid

it's what i use now. generally few problems...they do have occasional server lock ups but they're few and far between

Reply to
bpuharic

thanks for the reply.

Reply to
Steve Barker

thanks for the reply. I think i'll switch in a month when my third free month is up.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I'm not sure why anyone reading usenet text groups would want to use a paid service vs any of the many free servers that currently exist (such as the one I've been using for the past 4 years - aioe.org).

When it comes to the binary groups (of which my experience with multi-part binary completion was poor back when my own ISP still operated a usenet server) I have to admit to no experience with binary downloading from usenet, but that's probably because all of my download needs are satisfied for free by using torrents or by patronizing several of the web-based file-sharing directory and listing services (avaxhome.ws being one example) where the download files are hosted on file-locker sites like rapidshare, hotfile, fileserve, etc.

And when it comes to downloading from file-locker sites, I find that (a) my download speed is generally very good - 100 to 550 kbyte/sec, and (b) I can perform serial download sessions from those sites without having a paid account by simply re-freshing (changing) my IP address.

So all of that is my way of saying that I don't understand the need to pay for a usenet service. I download several gb of copyrighted material per day, all without paying for any sort of account (other than my ISP).

Reply to
Home Guy

Because a lot of people block aioe completely.

Reply to
krw

Which is paradoxical, since aioe goes overboard to ban all local-users from posting to groups from which the aioe administrator has received pretty much any form of abuse complaint.

At any given time, there are dozens of groups which aioe does not permit local users from posting to, and which local users discover this "ban" because their posting software given them an error when they attempt the post. And aioe does not make it known which groups are banned, or when the ban was put in place. It does remove the ban at the request of users, but only if a suitable ban-period has elapsed, but the length of this period is not known to users.

And I'm not aware of any organized or widespread habbit of kill-filing AIOE posters, at least not like there is supposed to be for google-group posters.

Reply to
Home Guy

Yet it is the only other server (other than Google) that I know of that has a contingent of people who block its posters entirely.

Organized? Usenet? Are you kidding?

Reply to
krw

Where would I find this contingent of people?

Where do they make themselves known, such that I could obtain independant confirmation that they exist, and even get an idea as to their numbers. ?

A "contingent" of people doing the same thing? Usenet? Are you kidding?

Reply to
Home Guy