Anyone have a trick for getting Husqvarna chainsaw brake kickback spring back on?

Incredible, I had this same problem yesterday. After many attempts I was successful, but I can't say it's an optimal method.

Remove the C-ring holding the 3 armed "sprocket" and lift it off it's rod. The sprocket arm is in the locked position. Straigthen this assembly.

Put the spring and its assembly back in the groove with the sprocket assembly out straight , not bent the way you found it. Take a pair of locking pliers and secure the bottom end of the spring to the housing, Not so tight that you damage the spring.

Take a thin screw driver about 3/8' wide and insert between the front of the spring assembly and the housing wall.. Use leverage to compress the spring. Try again. Work from the inside edge of the housing. I was able to squeeze the spring and the "sprocket" arm straightened out. I carefully slipped it over the rod, and then took another locking pliers and lightly secured the front end of the spring.

Then I replaced the C- ring, attached the plastic frame parts, reattached to the chain saw body. Tested it and it worked fine.

Reply to
george

Not sure if this will help in your case, but I recently had problems gettin g a Poulon chain saw back together. It turned out that the kick-back bar go t into the stop position; when I put it back in the run position, everythin g went back together without any problems. I had to turn that three-vaned t hing to the run position using needle-nosed pliers and it took a lot of for ce.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

replying to Danny D., Will Boyd wrote: Be nice to know if Husqvarna makes a tool for it, but you can buy the entire side (spring installed) for about $20 and the tool would probably cost that much or more.

Reply to
Will Boyd

Plety of Youtube videos on this. Trick is to make sure the break is in the position that lets you have the most room.

Here is one.

Ralph Mowery

replying to Pavel314, Marty wrote: The reason it takes so much force is the included angle between the two arms that compress the spring is about 90 degrees in the brake on position. Decrease that angle and it is easy-peazy. How? Insert a medium flat blade screwdriver between the case and the arm with the roller, rotate it until the blade will remain in position by itself (hold the spring down with your thumb while doing this) That will open the angle up and make the next step easy.. Then take a larger screwdriver, position it between the arm with the star and the case, and rotate it until the two arms go over center into the brake off position. Reassemble your saw! Took me five minutes, no special tools.

Reply to
Marty