Husqvarna Chainsaw Fiasco

Purchased a nice chainsaw via internet like most of all my tools.

Saw had a brake problem with the chain and I called the local service center for warranty work and they said come on down. Once they found out I purchased it on the internet at the shop they refused to work on it as a warranty job since I didnt buy it from them. They cited low pay from Husky on warranty work and were not willing to do it if they didnt make the sale.

I called Husqvarna about the problem and they told me that "I need to understand the dealers perspective" and they have the right to refuse service, even warranty work when they are an authorized dealer/repair center.

Most likely it is a simple fix as far as adjusting the brake band on the clutch but it seems the local dealers are fighting back and I am caught in the middle.

Who cares about me, they all got my money and in the mean time I have useless, expensive, orange boat anchor with Husqvarna written on the side.

Anyway be advised if your buying mail order chainsaws.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

have you tried sending it back?

Reply to
js

Not just chain saws, any tool. The local dealer has a lot on the line to pay for his building, insurance, payroll, taxes to the same school district you share, etc. You went elsewhere to save a few bucks and now you want the local guy to help you out.

Mailorder is great for the guy that has no local source, but you just can't beat the neighborhood dealer when it comes to service. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Advised of what? Caveat emptor. I have three saws, two of which I bought from eBay and one of which I bought from my local dealer. They're Stihl saws, so they don't break like Husqvarnas do :)

Anyway, my dealer has no problem working on any of my saws, or selling me parts, or supplies, but I sure don't expect him to do free repairs if I didn't buy the saw there. Granted, none of them are still under warranty, but if I wanted a new saw, I'd buy locally. The ones off of fleaBay were both used.

Car dealers work the same way. I don't think they can flat out refuse to do warranty repairs, but they can sure drag it out forever and get you to pay for stuff you don't need in order to make up for it. In most cases, it's actually up to the manufacturer to cover that stuff. If Husky is willing to back up their dealers, then be prepared to pay to have your saw fixed.

Jon E

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

Sorry about your problems but it's a brake for crying out loud. A couple peices of plastic, a screw and a couple pieces of metal. Fix it yourself and get back to make woodchips. This is an easy fix. It takes longer to complain about it than to fix it. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Bull, he gets reimbursed by the dealer for his expenses. If its not enough then he shouldn't advetize as being a warranty center for Husqvarna. He has a choice too.

Reply to
Grandpa

Yes, and he is exercising his choice. Warranty re-imbursement is not always enough to really cover profit and barely operating costs. IMO, the dealer is returning the same gesture that the person asking for the repair gave him at the time of purchase. The dealer is theer because his steady customer give him enough business to make a profit. The guy that went elsewhere gave him none and deserves little in return.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Is it because the saw won't run? If so, you may have tripped the brake. Pull back on it and see if it catches. I have owned 7 or 8 Husky's and swear by them. All the Stihls I ever owned shook to pieces. Try Bailey's in Ca. and Tn. They will fix it but you wil have to ship it to them. They are extremely fast though. They used to have a real chainsaw wizard called Wimpy who was hell on wheels when it came to chainsaws.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Edwin,

You are wrong. In many cases, dealers who service items not purchased at their store get reimbursed a higher rate. Ask any Toro or Ariens dealer.

And, any dealer who would take on a service center role to lose money is an idiot.

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

This the reason I buy nothing mail order or internet that I may expect service on down the road. Disposable items sure, but not something I may want dealer service from. Next time you buy something, support the local dealer. You may be surprised that it is less costly in the long run! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Rich

I saw this in two other groups. Are you just out to bash? Are you actually reading the replies?

Reply to
gfhshs

Reply to
Rich

No I just post for fun and profit. hehe.

I am not bashing Husqvarna but I am posting to my 3 favorite groups. It would be 4 groups but I dont think that alt.bread.recipes cares about 9hp chainsaws.

If I was more aware of the dealer / mfgr situation I would of bought locally on this purchase as this saw could require alot of service. I am using it to mill lumber with an alaskan jig. But in the end I am glad I did not buy from the dealer as he is really a jerk to deal with. I called the owner personally and we had an amiable discussion but he still had the opinion that I was just out to wreck his business by buying over the cursed internet. I've since called other dealers and they are happy to look at it or work on it warranty if it needs it. Only difference is I have to drive 20 miles instead of 2.

Personally I would rather have the dealer prove himself worthy of my future business than lip service and still get bad service after buying at dealer prices. That happened to me with John Deere.

For that I'll take the discount online, if all I have is thieves and liars to deal with then I'll take the lowest price, just like at the car dealer. hehe.

Rich

PS( My Lowes Poulon 49cc 20 inch saw is kicking butt. I've cut down about 19 palm trees, 1 oak and 1 hackberry plus other trimming jobs etc and I am amazed it works so well. I did not expect much out of it so I guess I am happy with whatever I get!)

Reply to
Rich

In many cases, but not all as I stated. I don't know the particulars of Husky but some companies are terrible, others are good.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Even the Stihl saws require service from time to time. I had one once, and every year when i tried to fire it up it didn't work... No matter how i pulled on the starter line it would not start, so i took it to the dealer, he took it into his magic hands, pulled once and voila! it ran...

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Juergen Hannappel responds:

I had a couple Stihl saws once. My impression of them was that they'd run the day before I needed them and the day after, but almost never on the actual cutting day. Switched off to a Homelite, XL12 IIRC, and went on about my business. Of course, this was 30+ years ago, Homelite is no longer Homelite, and Stihl probably has improved.

Charlie Self "Character is much easier kept than recovered." Thomas Paine

Charlie Self

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:VdYPb.61102$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:

It's this sort of myopic thinking that will run that guy out of business. First off there is probably a dealer agreement in place and he probably has agreed to provide warranty service for the product whether he sold it or not. But that isn't even really the point. If he had taken the time to repair the product and provided good service he might have won over a customer. That customer might think twice before making his NEXT purchase via mail order, and he might even mention his pleasant experience to a few other people who might be potential customers. Instead he turned this guy away, with an attitude to boot and thereby insured that he had NO chance of ever selling this person anything and in addition he is all but guaranteed to relate this story to anyone who will listen. That hardly seems like a good business decision to me.

Reply to
Secret Squirrel

"Jon Endres, PE" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

They could but they won't. The profit centers in a new car dealership are service and used cars. Higher end imports excluded, most new car dealers lose money on their new car sales operation or at best break even. They maintain those operations as that is what drives the service, body shop and parts (as well as used cars) operations. Further the manufacturers would NEVER knowlingly tolerate that sort of thing as there is simply too much competition to lose a good customer to a competitor over unnecisarilly poor service.

The billable rate is exactly the same whether they sold the car or not. There is nothing to make up.

Reply to
Secret Squirrel

Thats bogus! The dealer contracted with the Mfgr to provide a service for the Mfgrs product to the public, not with the buyer and where he preferred to buy that Mfgrs product. I seriously doubt you'll find in any contract a clause that states you will only receive warranty service for items you bought there. Few if any Mfgrs are dumb enough to allow this because it alienates the public.

So if you have a brand new car for instance and you are travelling cross country and the engine takes a dump, then you would have no problems paying for a new one or having the car towed or shipped half way across the US at your expense for warranty work at the original dealer? I think not!

IMO, the dealer is

Reply to
Grandpa

Certainly a good ideal, however when I for example bought my Rancher 55 last year, the local dealer wanted $429, I got it thru Lowes for $269, a $160 difference. I don't mind paying a 'little' more to support local businesses, and often do, but when you're looking at a price difference like mine its a whole new ballgame. I've no idea why the originator of this thread bought where he did but perhaps he was faced with a situation like mine. Either way the dealer is getting reimbursed by the Mfgr so he's not doing it for free.

Reply to
Grandpa