Anyone have a favorite ip camera surveillance system?

[snip]

POE uses 1 or 2 of the pairs in an ethernet cable. This means the ethernet can't be the 1Gb variety (which uses all 4 pairs). Maybe you don't need 1Gb to the cameras, but you'd need to be careful with identical-looking cables in use for POE and 1Gb. Don't connect the wrong one.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

My research indicates you still need power to the wireless cameras, either way you are dealing with pulling wire. Unless you have a convenient outlet to plug the camera power supply into.

Reply to
Idlehands

They have overcome that limitation with the introduction of "Phantom Power"

"Standards-based Power over Ethernet is implemented following the specifications in IEEE 802.3af-2003 (which was later incorporated as clause 33 into IEEE 802.3-2005) or the 2009 update, IEEE 802.3at. A phantom power technique is used to allow the powered pairs to also carry data. This permits its use not only with 10BASE-T and 100BASE-TX, which use only two of the four pairs in the cable, but also with 1000BASE-T (gigabit Ethernet), which uses all four pairs for data transmission."

Most recent install I worked on implemented 1Gig data to the cameras and the higher end switches are smart enough to not deliver POE to non-POE devices.

Reply to
Idlehands

Per Idlehands:

Maybe others have had better luck, but the couple of WiFi cams I tried were pretty much hopeless. IIRC at 640x480 they were barely functional and anything higher was totally useless.

OTOH it might say more about the quality of my WiFi than any device... but I am heavily biased in favor of hard-wired Ethernet whenever possible.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I tend to agree, I have done some installations where wireless bridges were used to bridge from poles to building. They have a greater failure rate due to snow and rain than any hard-wire camera.

Reply to
Idlehands
[snip]

Put the camera in a windmill with a generator?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Of course, but it's easier to find an outlet and place a camera near it than it is to run cable through walls from the main point of connectivity.

Reply to
Meanie

However there are no outlets on the exterior of my house that would make for a suitable location for a camera. Another building that wanted wireless meant running power to the eaves of the building. Cat6 was much simpler to run.

Reply to
Idlehands

Per Mark Lloyd:

Freestanding IP cams with solar panels and radio links are doable.

Can't recall the needed watts, but it's doable without too-huge of a panel. Do a search for "Solar" at

(PeteCresswell)
[snip]

Yes, although some people insist on wireless, no matter how inferior it is.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Thanks. I liked learning something. While I don't need this right now, I may someday.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Employer wants to watch employees goof off when he is out of the office

And wants to record burglars.

Then you have to run power