Bird feeder color?

We had a clear plastic 2-foot tall tubular bird feeder hanging in our yard for a couple of years, until a squirrel decided he liked the clear plastic better than the food.

I have built a similar hanging feeder from a section of 2" PVC pipe. The b ottom is capped, the top is a threaded fitting to be opened to put in the b irdseed. I drilled holes in the sides and mounted the plastic opening inse rts from the old feeder into the new feeder.

One bird has figured out that the new feeder is ok. but most of the birds s eem to be staying away. The PVC pipe is the usual off-white color. I am w ondering if there is a better color to paint the tubing that would be more attractive to the bird population. Suggestions --------

Reply to
hrhofmann

Depends on the sorts of birds you're looking to attract.

E.g., we cater to the local hummingbird population. They aren't keen on blues or violets (as colors). Somewhat amenable to yellows but really drawn to the reds. So, we have planted much of the back yard with "warm" colors and kept the "cooler" colors for the front yard.

Reply to
Don Y

After reading your post, I wondered if birds actually had a preference.

This article claims the only color to stay away from is white.

SeaNymph

d for a couple of years, until a squirrel decided he liked the clear plasti c better than the food.

bottom is capped, the top is a threaded fitting to be opened to put in the birdseed. I drilled holes in the sides and mounted the plastic opening in serts from the old feeder into the new feeder.

seem to be staying away. The PVC pipe is the usual off-white color. I am wondering if there is a better color to paint the tubing that would be mor e attractive to the bird population. Suggestions --------

We have a lot of different birds; hummingbirds, sparrows, robins, cardinals , doves, - - - . Maybe I should spray it in a camouflage pattern all diffe rent colors?????

Reply to
hrhofmann

If you check the link I posted, it mentions that some birds prefer a certain color but white seems to signal danger and they clearly don't like that.

Reply to
SeaNymph

I have some green and tan/brown spray paint, I'll try them in a random pattern to replace the almost white color that clearly is a no-no based on what the reference said.

Reply to
hrhofmann