Anyone got the Honda eu6500i?

Was wondering if people think its worth the $$$$$ price tag? Seems like the absolute perfect generator for all kinds of use. Noise level is 52db at 1/4 power, and 62 at full power.

Reply to
dean

The EU2000i is worth the price; had it running yesterday and couldn't hear it when I was talking to a neighbor.

Reply to
Toller

people think its worth the $$$$$ price tag? Seems

I have the 2000i and love it too! But it doesn't have 220V which I could use for my well. Alternatively I could get hold of a cheapo wholesale generator and keep it for the emergencies but where's the fun in that?

Reply to
dean

Have you tested the pump to see how many amps you need to start it? I also have a Yamaha 1000. They claim it will produce 2500w for a couple seconds. I don't know about that, but it will start my refrigerator that draws 1500w to start. Obviously that won't help you, but the Yamaha 3500 might be adequate. Certainly cheaper, quieter and less consumptive than the EU6500. I got the second generator for another purpose, but wanted to be sure it could backup my Honda EU2000. Yamaha said their 1000 would start my refrigerator, Honda said their 1000 wouldn't. Easy decision.

Reply to
Toller

Where do you live where your electric service is so unreliable that you need a backup generator for your generator :)

We had a series of storms here in northeast ohio yesterday that kicked me off the grid for 3 hours. Was nice to have power for my PC and DSL modem/router, fridge and ham radio gear from my Coleman 4Kw generator.

Reply to
Meat Plow

My wife asked me the very same question. I don't, but I needed a light generator because it is a long difficult carry to where I need to use it; and as long as I was getting it, it might as well be a redundant back up.

Reply to
Toller

So, what's it cost? I found two hits on google, and no prices listed.

You did see that it weighs 253 pounds, empty? I guess there is a reason they have it pictured as being on wheels.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Northeast OH? I'm in western NY, we lose power once a year, on average. We had an ice storm in 03 that had me without power four days. Long enough for my trailer to get plenty frigid cold.

I have used my generator to help friends out. I took it to Buffalo for the october 13 surprise the year before last. And closer to home when a welfare person I know lost power due to non payment. Early March, and it was near zero a couple of nights.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My backup generator is an ETQ 1200 watt. About 50 pounds dry, and it's a two stroke. Burns gas oil mix. I can't compare it to Honda, but I fired it up for testing, and was astounded how quiet it is.

Mine was about $150 from Ebay, that includes the freight to have RPS bring it to my door step. Another store near me has them cash and carry for $200. I know my ETQ will run a 30 or 40 year old furnace with belt drive, I've done it. That, on the end of about 75 feet of extension cord. I'm impressed with it.

If you get an ETQ, I suggest to take off the rectangular cover over the air filter. Spot and drill a hole so you can put a squirt of ether on the air filter foam. Otherwise, it can be impossible to start.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

$3000-3500. I wish it were water cooled for easier cogen.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

That's rather pricey. For that kind of money, you could build a metal shed, and insulate the inside of the shed with fiberglass for sound deadening. Put a power vent on the roof of the shed to draw off the heat. And then buy a Coleman generator.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I paid less than three grand for my last vehicle, and it's water cooled. Comes with a 20 gal tank, too.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

FWIW - I've had my Honda 6500 for over 20 years now and it still runs great. I live in the country where wells and septic are standard and if the grid goes out you might as well leave town.

I have a separate panel with a welding socket in the garage that I backfeed into from the 220V output of the generator. Of course the main on my box must be tripped and this method runs my well pump (220V), my furnace, my refrideration, my TV, lights, computer(s), most lights and in the summer, some AC units. When not in use I keep a trickle charger connected to keep the battery topped up and I try to run it for a few minutes each month for a while.

While minor features have changed over the years the units are still basically the same but the price has rocketed to about three times what I paid. But, it was money well spent and it has been worth every penny.

Go for it!

Reply to
bobmct

FINALLY an answer to his question !!

James

[...]

The backup generator I have (eu2000i) is ONLY 110V, so it can't power the well pump, which is the only thing I have that's 220V. Otherwise yes, I would attempt to star the well with the generator I have.

-Dean

Reply to
dean