Any good tankless water heaters?

Folks:

I've got a 15-year-old 50-gal. water heater that I'm thinking of replacing. The water heater currently sits in its own outdoor closet attached to the rear of the house. The closet measures 100x26x30 (HxWxD, in inches). I'm also planning to add a water softening system that I'd like to put in the closet, but I can't put anything else in this closet with a 50 gal. water heater. I believe a tankless water heater would free up enough space in the closet to include the softener.

Are there any good tankless water heaters on the market today? I've read mixed reviews of the Bosch models on eopinions.com. Failing that are there any small tanked water heaters, >=30 gal., designed to fit into a tight space?

Thanks.

Reply to
Bill Bushnell

If that's electric, forget it.

And for the price of a gas one, I would sooner bump out the "closet".

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Whether or not you can get a tankless to do a good job for you depends on (just to name a few) the operating conditions

peak hot water consumption inlet cold water temp general water usage patterns elevation (dist above) from sea level

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

The

put

Does the outdoor closet freeze. Rinnai might make one that has a element to keep it from freezing, but what if it does not work, you loose an expensive unit. Rinnai, Takagi, Bosch are all good, I have a Bosch and am happy. You do mean Ng or Propane.

Reply to
ransley

The closet interior is unlikely to freeze unless we have several days of below freezing weather, which hasn't happened in over 20 years. I live in Sunnyvale, California.

The closet has NG service for the existing 50gal. water heater but no electrical. I could run a new outlet to the closet if necessary and probably will need to for the softener if I locate it there.

Thanks.

Reply to
Bill Bushnell

Tankless water heaters are not simply drop-in replacements for existing water heaters. You will need a larger gas connections and maybe a larger flue. Your tanked water heater was probably 34-40K BTU/hr and had a 1/2" gas line. Tankless heaters might run 120-175K BTU/hr and need a 3/4" gas line. You will also need a large enough gas service connection so that you don't starve you other appliances (furnace, stove?, etc.) when the water heater kicks on. Talk to you gas company (PG&E) to find out if your current gas connection is sufficient for the tankless heater in addition to your other appliances.

Reply to
M Q

Hi,

If you would like to buy one Electric tankless water Heater, I suggest to consider to visit our online store:

We are one Chinese Electric Tankless Water Heater manufacturer. We have supplied some Electric Tankless Water Heaters to some American clients and other countries' clients.

Please take you some time visit our website and products album to know our company and products info. You could find our price list from our album.

If you are interested in our products, please contact me.

Await your early reply and comments.

Best regards

Arthur Huang Ateliving Trade and Industries Co., Ltd Website:

ateliving

Reply to
ateliving