Any good contractors?

Hi,

My wife and I just buy a house in San Diego, and we are first time home owner, so we know little about home improvement, such as flooring -- hardwood floor and ceramic tile. Can anybody recommend some good contractors?

BTW: Can we save money by buying materials and hiring professionals both from HomeDepot?

--

21
Reply to

How much money, ya got?!

Reply to
Oren

So, you want junk material and crappy work. You're on the right track.

Go to a real lumber yard and as them for references of trades people.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you use reputable, established specialty contractors, they can get as good or better prices on materials as you.

They have built business relationships, have found suppliers they like, have bought from them before and will buy from them again. An owner doesn't have that leverage.

The contractor knows what materials he needs and should have a good idea of the quantities needed. Both decisions are based on experience.

tbasc

You mentioned HD, saving money, and good work. Can't have all three. Pick one; do you want good work, done soon, or low price? My Dad used to have a sign in his office

Good Fast Cheap

--------------------- Choose any two

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Get to know your neighbors and ask them who they would recommend.

If any of them recommend Home Depot, get to know a different neighbor.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Talk to your neighbours. Depending on what work you need, talk to nearby lumber yards or plumbing houses or electrical suppliers and so on.

Avoid the big box stores. They tend to sell low and mid grade products for medium and high prices. Particular avoid ordering through them or hiring contractors through them . Home Depot in particular has a poor reputation for service and quality.

I'm a contractor and i will not work for a homeowner who wants to supply materials. Not because I lose a mark up, but because too often, the materials or products are wrong or damaged or delivered weeks after they were needed. It's just too messy. I supply it, the problem is mine. You supply it, the problem is yours.

For example, we make over your bathroom using materials you supply.. Turns out the tub has a minute, barely noticeable crack that leaks. You supplied it.

Who is responsible for the tub? For taking it out and putting it in? For tearing out the necessary tile .. or replacing the entire surround if we can't get a good match on the dye lot?

Not worth the potential hassle.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

"jecky" wrote

Depends on the job and the local HD contractor. I'd get several estimates, with some from a more regular contractor. Some simple things, it may not be worth looking further. Say it's just a ceiling fan or 2, wouldnt really bother to look further.

Reply to
cshenk

Why, when so many people here diss HD and Lowe's, do I see trucks with "xyz builders" or "pqr electrical contractors" or "abc plumbing" in their parking lots a large percentage of the times I go there?

One time I was in the electrical dept. at Lowe's and saw a guy with what looked like a long shopping list. Not having found what I wanted at Lowe's, I went to one of the local "real electrical suppliers," where I saw the same guy up a ladder replacing one of their security lights.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Some "brand name" items are the same no matter where you buy them and HD may be a few pennies cheaper. When it comes to more specialty items or high quality goods, you won't see those contractors at the big box stores. If they want good personal service they won't be their either.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The best thing I can say is ask PEOPLE. People you know who have had work done in the past. Stop by some houses that are being built and introduce yourself to the owner. Most times they are willing to help a clueless newbie. If you see any renovation or rebuilding in your neighborhood, stop in and introduce yourself.

If you ask contractors, they are all the greatest. The person you want to talk to is the one who has hired people in the past.

Then go from there.

You obviously don't know a lot, or you wouldn't ask about Home Depot. Yes, you can save money by buying your own supplies and getting labor only bids, but in lots of cases, the goods a craftsman would buy will be better and only a little more expensive than what you would pick. Let's say carpenters. The studs and most lumber they have at HD is, for lack of a better term, crap. A good carpenter will go to a yard, and get good lumber. That way, you get a better job. You can either pay more from a yard through a carpenter, or have to buy more at HD to compensate for all the knotty warped twisted lumber you throw away. It comes out the same.

Good craftsmen are out there doing good work and projects and making money. The derelicts and fugitives are hanging around HD looking for work.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You'll see my trucks there, too.

We'll buy five thousand square feet of drywall from a drywall supplier, and if we run short, we'll pick up 32 or 74 square feet from the closest HD. Same with two by fours. Or screws or any number of small items.

I've heard nothing but horror stories about things they supply and insstall.... but... you go ahead. All those trucks must mean they're really pro.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

Lots of good craftsmen BUY stuff there. But the guys they hire to do installations are the question.

Let me ask it this way ........ If Bob Farquar is a really good carpet guy, why isn't he out installing carpet and making the full amount from custom customers rather than hiring out to do a whole house for $100 from HD?

Hint: it's because he's no good, is an illegal, or has a drinking problem.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB