Any experience with the pop-up type of downdraft range vents?

There are now downdraft range vents being made by a number of manufacturers, Kitchenaid, Broan, GE, etc, that pop up and are typically used with island cooktops. They are similar in concept to the original downdraft vents invented by Jenn Air. The Jenn Air type place the downdraft opening in the middle of the range at the surface, with a blower that pulls air down and vents outside. This newer type go at the back edge of of the range and when not used, sit flush to the counter. They are about 2" wide and the length of the range (36"). When activated, the vent moves up about 8 inchs and turns on, with a 600CFM blower venting the air outside. The idea being that by being higher, they will be more effective at catching smoke. You also don't lose any burner space, so you can have a std

36" 5 burner gas cooktop.

I'm considering one and wondering if anyone has any actual experience with one. I know they won't be as good as a true range hood at catching all the smoke, but wondering how much better, if any, they are compared to the Jenn Air downdraft type which I presently have. I could put in a regular overhead hood, but it would be a lot more work, require tearing up ceiling, moving/adding recessed lights, new holes through exterior walls, etc.

Reply to
trader4

Your choice will come down to the amount of serious cooking that happens in the kitchen, and what kind is most common. If you use a deep fryer very day or do a lot of pan frying or wok thrashing then you won't be happy with anything less than a full on range vent. The system you now have probably does fairly well. As far as the newer popups, sorry I can't offer direct experience with them, but anything that complex that doesn't obey the laws of physics (heat and smoke rise, you know) would never pass my test for effectiveness. If you could could have a sales person conduct a demo for you t might be fairly enlightening. Find a fiend that smokes cigars to help out in generating smoke.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Reply to