Another refrigerator post !

Seems our GE side by side has maybe bit the dust . The compressor is running but the high side line is not hot as it should be which tells me that either the compressor is shot or it's low on refrigerant gas . I'll hook up the gauges in the morning and check that out . Not a really big deal if it's really dead except right now you mostly can't just waltz in off the street and buy a fridge . We've had this unit for several years , bought used so I'm not lamenting it's demise . What I am lamenting is the cost of a new one ! And how long it may take to actually get it here unless I get lucky . I have found a few units in stock that will fit our needs , but they are all a pretty long drive . Gotta do more research in the morning , make a few phone calls instead of wasting gas chasing around looking .

Reply to
Snag

If you can't find what you want in stock you may have a long wait. I know of two people in the past year that settled for what they could find or face months of wait.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Just a suggestion and pointer: Unless you've got your heart set on a specific feature set and design, take a look at the used and second hand places.

These include outlets such as Habitat for Humainty, Goodwill, Salvation Army [a],

and also there are probably second hand stores as well.

Plus the online options like Craigslist, ebay, Patch, FB Marketplace, etc.

[a] depending on the area, some of these places carry large appliances, others don't. And, of course, the supply will vary day to day.
Reply to
danny burstein

There are a couple in stock (so they say) at Springfield Mo ... about a 150-170 mile round trip . We're OK for a day or three , between my beer fridge , the camper fridge , and my neighbor's beer fridge we've got that part covered . The freezer contents filled up our cellar freezer and part of the big freezer . I guess it's a Good Thing the monthly meat sale at our favorite local chain store is next Saturday instead of the first Saturday . Had I stocked up there would not have been room .

Reply to
Snag

One almost has to take what they can get now. Over a year ago in August we put in an order for a refrigerator. Did not need one at the time,but the one we had was about 15 years old.Wife wanted a change also. Christmas came and no refrigerator but it was still on order . In July this year I made some inquires and got a nice call from the store manager that it may be many months before we could get the stainless steel one we wanted,but he did have 2 in stock that were white, so as much as we hated it, we went with the white one.

Make calls and look on the internet to see what the stores have in stock. Do not order one or even take their word for it that they have one unless you ask them to go and look in the storage area for one.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I heard an ad for LG with a see-through door. It seems to be side-by-side. If they're advertising it, one hopes they have some for sale!

Reply to
micky

We've checked online facebook "local yard sale" listings and we're in a dead area for craigslist type services . I'll be calling a couple of locals who sometimes have used/refurbed units , but my first option will be to hook my refrigeration gauges to the unit and make sure it's a dead compressor and not a low freon condition . This (bought used) unit has had a service tap installed , so it has had refrigerant added (probably , but at least checked) at some time . I have the tools and materials to add refrigerant gas (R-134A on the data plate) if that's the problem . Something that has me wanting to check the refrigerant is that the last few weeks my ice cream has been extra hard . A sign of low temps and possibly low refrigerant ...

Reply to
Snag

Odd dhow it works, but low refrigerent often means low instead of high temperature.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I remember your tale of woe ... which is why I'll be making calls (should it not be something I can repair) before I burn any gas .

Reply to
Snag

I haven't been there since before the virus but I went with a friend to a store that had 30 or 50 beautiful fridges, stoves, washers/dryers, microwaves, dishwasher all in what looked from the outside like new condition. All stainless steel iirc. The store had barely a sign out front and no frills inside, not the slightest. (Okay, I'm looking at his webpage and I'm wrong about no sign) . At the time I thought they were like new tires that some buyers of new cars have replaced with better tires, but now I can't see how that could happen. In an outer baltimore suburb.

Refurbished Quality Products Our used appliance inventory is a favorite to landlords and property managers and our high-quality stainless steel appliances are ideal for budget conscious home-owners looking to remodel all with quality warranties. Louie's appliances can help you with all of your appliance needs - but at the core they're a family operation devoted to the needs of the community with a passion for what we do best. WE DELIVER Scratch-N-Dent Quality Products We have a selection of new appliances with minor scratches and dents.

You will save hundreds or thousands of dollars off the MSGR

Sorry, no checks.

We offer 6 months full warranty on our new appliances & 3 months full warranty on our used appliances.

It's like they on purpose chose a name that sounds cheap.

I suppose other stores sell refurbished and scratched and dented.

Reply to
micky

At the eye doctor a coupple weeks ago I complaine that my eyes were blurry in the morning on rare occasions but once for 30 minutes, like with a layer of water. He started talking about dry eye, and by golly the web does say that dry eye makes your eyes watery. It knows it's dry so it makes too many tears? But how then is it dry? Huh?

Reply to
micky

That would have been a good suggestion back appliances were still built to last.

Nowadays, most used ones are probably on their death-bed or close to it.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Sometimes when people re-decorate / renovate - they want newer stylish matching appliances and will sell off their good old ones. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Or horribly inefficient. A few years ago we finally ditched a 30 year old fridge that was working perfectly because we needed a model with a larger capacity in both the freezer and food compartments. We were pleasantly surprised to see that with no other changes in our household habits, using our new, larger fridge, our monthly electricity bill dropped by $25-30$/month consistently for 10 of the next 12 months. We couldn't think of any other reason except that the newer model was much more efficient both in terms of the refrigeration components and the insulation.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

May be good right now- but well past middle age ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Up here Habitat won't take 10 year old appliances - maybe not even 7 year old - not sure what their limit is now.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I know of several homes locally that were sold with new - or less than 2 year old - kitchens - cabinets, appliances and all - and the new buyer didn't like the kitchen and tore it all out - replacing everything. In at least one case the appliasnces were high end stuff as were the cabinets. (more than $20k spent on the original renovation by the seller)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I imagine if we sold our house the new owners would rip out the kitchen, which we've just installed to our own taste rather than with an eye to resale.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

You must live in a pretty high class area ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

40 years ago these were 8 year old houses at $63000 a pop. Now they are 48 year old houses at $700000+ a pop - Not the most expensive part of Waterloo by a good long shot - but not a "bad" area. Good schools, close to the highway and good shopping. Decent transit options. Solid base-middle-class area with tradesmen, small business owners, office workers etc. Even the odd University Prof but mostod them live "across the road" across town where houses are $2-300000 more (at the bottom end)
Reply to
Clare Snyder