An odd valve

I was cleaning out a storage shed prior to tearing it down, and found a can of pipe fittings.

There was a brass valve, with a piece of rectangular stock with a hole through it on the top, and a screw/washer/nut on the bottom. Looking into the valve, there is a slot on each end. It wouldn't turn, so I took it apart and found that there is a tapered cylinder in it, with a slot corresponding to those in the body. Turned one way it blocks the water; turned 90 degrees, it passes the water. (yes, pretty much like a ball valve.)

So, my questions... After cleaning, it works fine, but I presume it needs some sort of grease between the body and cylinder. I have some "plumbers grease". Is that okay, or do I need something else? I have never seen a valve like this before. It seems to be in good condition, but should I toss it and get a $8 ball valve, or is it worthwhile? (I only started doing plumbing stuff a few years ago, so if it went out of style 10 years ago, it is ancient to me...)

Reply to
toller

It's a plug valve with a tapered stem, commonly used on low pressure gas service.

They were common 50 years ago but wouldn't pass today. Polish it up and keep it.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

That makes sense; it was in with a bunch of flare fittings, which were probably for the propane system. Thanks.

Reply to
toller

As a heating and AC guy, I've seen a bunch of what you describe. It's used for natural gas. I see them frequently. The grease dries up. You can clean it out with some solvent (gasoline, kerosene, ether spray) and regrease it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That so? I thought I saw some on the shelf at supply house just recently...maybe I was mistaken (or they're really old, that place probably never threw anything out)...

Do you consider there to be any real problem w/ them? There must be 20 around the place here on all the outbuildings, etc., ...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Eventually the grease dries out, the taper loosens and you have a (small) gas leak. Whether that's a problem all depends...

It's just that there are better valves for gas service today so one wouldn't use them on a new install.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

It sounds to me like it is a natural gas valve rather than water. I'd keep it for maybe some day using for compressed air, etc.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

It is, but almost certainly not rated for anything except low pressure...applying it to compressed air line would almost certainly be a mistake.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth