An idea I had concerning Student Loans

The problem is most-present in departments that have very high teaching loads, like English and Math. It has become an "epidemic" problem since the mid to late 90's. In departments like History, there often isn't enough teaching to be done to give teaching assistantships. Graduate students are more likely to be graders for regular faculty in the department, for instance, or run labs for them, as in your case.

These days you would be smart to choose to teach the organic chemistry class you mentioned--so that you could talk about it in your job interviews. 2 candidates, one with demonstrated teaching experience, one without: One has a distinct advantage.

Reply to
Bill

And, of course, quite a few of these end up starting their own businesses either as one-man repairmen or, in the case of at least one, has grown into one of the largest outfits in the region with over 100 technicians in seven permanent locations while have residents in some 20 other smaller places around the region. They're doing quite well starting with two brothers.

A welding tech grad created a new endowment just a couple years ago in the multiple six-figures range that might end up at seven before he's done.

A good tech degree/certificate is indeed a very good career path for those not interested in formal four-year degrees. But, it needs be a good program and the student has to put in the work as well to make it a sure thing.

--

Reply to
dpb

Hi Bill,

I like your idea.

Student loads only served to vastly inflate the cost of higher education and in my opinion student loans are a form of Debt Bondage (Peonage).

Peonage:

-T

And since when to incompeteny, pompous, pretentious blow hards get $245,000.00 per year? Oh! When there are student loans!

Sorry trumptard. I mistook you fopr a person who could actually think.

Reply to
Bob F

I thought about it but jobs were plentiful at the time. I actually wrapped it up a couple of months before graduation so teaching would have held me up.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Reply to
Bob F

Not so.

When it comes to student loans, the gov't has extrordinary means to collect, and the school could cancel or revoke whatever diploma or degree the student had received if it ever fell to the university to make good on the loan.

How so?

Putting the university on the hook to refund the tuition means they change their admission numbers and requirements so that they do a better job of selecting the kids that have what it takes to complete their studies and pass their exams. They now have a vested interest that the students graduate. Right now they don't.

Reply to
Home Guy

True. Getting accepted to a college was a big thing when I was a kid. Now if it isn't one of the top 50 or even top 100 schools, acceptance is a rubber stamp deal. It is also pretty hard to flunk out, you just keep taking courses until they finally pass you in most places. What used to be a 4 year degree is now a 5 year degree. Granted some of it is just remedial for what your government high school didn't teach you and passed you anyway.

Reply to
gfretwell

Not out of the ordinary for today's graduates to be "precariously employed" for up to EIGHT YEARS. Can't live on those jibs AND pay off debt.

Even back in the 60s and 70s I knew not to saddle myself with debt by going to university (for mechanical engineering) - I chose an apprenticeship in the trades instead. Back then anyone with a pulse could get a job - even a good paying brainless assembly line job - even without finishing high school.

Classmates went to work at Schneider's meats skinning weiners for 5 times what I earned as an apprentice - or they went to work on the assembly line at Budd Canada building frames - or to Uniroyal or Goodyear or BF Goodrich building tires - or to Kauffmans, or Greb, or Boonie Strewart to make shoes or boots.

All of those jobs were within 25 miles of home.

Those who went to university for teaching got jobs fresh out of teacher's college - and nurses were also in highdemand.

Today teachers will be on the supoply list for 3-8 years before landing a job (unless they want to teach French - then it's only a year or two) Nursing grads work part time for YEARS. No more tire plants. No more frame plant. No more J.M. Schneiders. Even in the IT and tech world it is VERY competetive - with grads from UW heading to Silicon Valley and Washington State to get jobs - even with all the hightech startups here in Waterloo. Blackberry is a shadow of it's former self.

ANd if you DON'T have a degree it gets even worse - - - - but at least you don't have the debt tying you down.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

But they figure their only chance at getting ahead is going to University - and few can affoed to do it without loans - particularly when good summer jobs are scarce.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

When there are 10 bodies lined up for that entry-level job, the one WITH the degree has a better chance than the one without.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Mightbe true in the USA - University funding in Canada is MUCH different - many are running on a "shoestring budjet"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The trades are not for everyone - but for those who are a good fit, they can do VERY well.

Private trade schools and charter schools are often just big scams - the "official" community colleges and polytechnics have generally good teachers and turn out qualified graduates.

Apprenticeship programs like we have in Ontario are really good options for the right students. I even had an honours phisics grad sign on as an apprentice mechanic. He just retired from the position of head of the technical department at a local secondary school

Reply to
Clare Snyder

University / college tuition in Canada is a fraction of the US (for domestic students that is. International students is different story). Canadians have nowhere near the amount of school debt that Americans have. The ability to move forward in life (buy a home, start a family) is being impacted by this debt.

Reply to
Home Guy

And it needs to be a "good fit". Not everyone can be a mechanic - or a plumber, or a HVAC teck, or an electrician.

For those who CAN - it can be VERY GOOD.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Not always. The best person for the job is the one that fits. Some with degrees are over qualified, get bored and quit in a couple of months. You don't need a masters degree in anthropology to shuffle papers in an insurance company.

You worked in the auto industry. Would you hire a mechanical engineer to mount and balance tires? Yeah, that would last a week or so.

I've hired hundreds of people, mostly unskilled or semi skilled positions. Highly educated people in those positions are only temporary.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

When I went there it was an engineering school with most buildings dating from the early 20th century. Now it not only has a superfantabulous performing arts center but the highest paid private university president in the country. EMPAC was her brainstorm but being a female POC one cannot criticize.

Reply to
rbowman

My dad used the GI Bill after WW2 and learned to work on appliances.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I liked what a co worker said about joining the army and learn a trade. He was in Vietnam. Seems that after he got out there were very few jobs shooting off the 105 mm cannons.

Another joined after the war and was suspose to learn electronics. He got sent to Alaska to paint radar towers. Seems that under the army or maybe it was air force book painting towers is under electronics.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Just how many illegals have jobs that require a college education.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery