Ammunition Storage & Ufer

This is a picture of ammunition storage units around Hastings, NE. I can see these from Highway 6 from a distance when I go riding.

This is related to housing. The military needed good grounding to protect the shelters from lightning damage. The specification was five ohms or less. Herbert Ufer of Underwriters Laboratories came up with the concrete encased electrode. His job was to find effective grounding for the Tucson and Flagstaff Arizona bomb storage facilities.

Dean Hoffman

I meant to include this article with the women and the bombs.

Dean Hoffman

Won't plan on a fishing trip to Walker Lake. The water feeding it was diverted for irrigation so it's slowly evaporating. I don't think there's anything left in it.

Reply to
rbowman

Folks are trying to buy up water rights to reduce the salinity of the lake. Right now it is so low and salty it kill everything.

It use to have a great fishery too! Folks around here still talk about it.

I grew up in Hawthorne. I worked at the base with transplants from Hastings. I swam and fished the lake and am one of a small group of people who swam across it (5 1/4 miles at the time) with only three other documented people, at the time that I did it, before me. Back then, Hawthorne was The World's Largest Naval Ammunition Depot. We made munitions, shipped and stored them. Viet Nam was hot then. Our boxcars of munitions even blew up a bit of Roseville, CA once. Small world. Thanks for mentioning my hometown.

Reply to
Leonard Blaisdell

I'm curious. I've never seen you post before, and yet when your home town is mentioned, you see it! Are you reading a lot of posts and just not posting yourself?

Did the subject line, Ammunition Storage & Ufer, catch your attention? Do you look at all the subject lines? Is there a website like homeownershub that extracts posts about ammunition, or Nebraska, or Hawthorne?

They used have some ratio of readers to posters, but there was no good way for us to know if it was accurate.

Reply to
micky

Yes. I followed Ed and Cindy over from rfc. I read posts that interest me here when I run out of posts on rfc. I'm generally worthless when it comes to home repair.

The subject line certainly did interest me. Otherwise, I don't look for Hawthorne posts. I used to make bombs, torpedoes, mines and stuff in the Sixties. Everyone here who has poured tritonal and H6 into a five-hundred pound bomb casing, raise your hand :)

The still-living, active groups are consolidating old readers and posters.

Reply to
Leonard Blaisdell

I followed Ed and Cindy over from rfc. I will post rarely when a subject interests me. I'm lousy at home repair.

The subject line certainly did interest me. I don't look for Hawthorne posts anywhere. Part time in the Sixties, I mixed H6, tritonal and cyclotol for a living and poured the explosive mixtures in the appropriate casings. Everyone else who's done that, raise your hand :)

As Usenet shrinks, the readership is consolidating into the active groups.

Reply to
Leonard Blaisdell

I never did that , but I did help pour nearly a quarter of a million pounds of solid rocket propellant into a Space Shuttle solid booster ... several times .

Reply to
Snag

If you still have a hand :)

Reply to
rbowman

This is the third time that I've tried to answer. With any bad luck, this will be my third post to your query. I followed Ed and Cindy here from rfc. I've read posts here for about six months.

Hawthorne just came up. What were the odds?

As Usenet shrinks, old Usenetters consolidate to what's left. Let's see if this one gets through. I'm posting fine to rfc.

Reply to
Leonard Blaisdell

I was goign to answer tomorrow, but since you've answeed 3 times, I thought I should tell you that all 3 show up.

What is rfc. Rec.farming.children?

Reply to
micky

rec.food.cooking

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Since you associate yourself with Cindy and me, perhaps he is just leery of you. Hmmm, can't blame him.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Oh, that's better.

And thanks to Leonard for answering my questions. So often, people don't answer questions other posters ask.

Reply to
micky

I've tried posting four responses since your query. Let's see if this works. This is a TEST!

Reply to
Leonard Blaisdell

Test! Test! I didn't know there was going to be a test! I over slept! My dog ate my paper! AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

:-)

The email part of my newsreader isn't working now. Can someone email this guy and tell him, Not only can't he see his own posts, he can't see mine or probably anyone else's. What happened since he first answered me?

Reply to
micky