Amateur-built homes faling down

Which just goes towards proving the tech support opinion that houses are like computers.......

Some people are just too damn stupid to own them.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Don't the Habitat home applicants have to agree to a set of conditions, one of which is a seminar on home maintenance? If so, decay would seem to be a matter of will rather than skill.

Reply to
HeyBub

That's what happens when particle board and wafer board are used in house construction. I can't imagine why a lot of codes allow the damned stuff - the second it gets moist, it's done for.

Reply to
Twayne

He was a better peanut farmer! Do you know what "green" peanuts cost now?

Reply to
Oren

Walt Disney bought the best property, years ago.

You can do the same thing in New Jersey, except the bed vibrates without a quarter being inserted.

Reply to
Oren

That is because South of the Frost Line where the ground never Freezes", cockroaches are able to stay alive indefinitely.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

I'm amazed how a cockroach lives in the Mojave Desert, but they do. More than you can imagine. Don't feed them concrete.

Reply to
Oren

Haste makes waste !!!!

Reply to
Robert

Republicans.

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Oh yeah, its all their FAULT!!!

Reply to
evodawg

Yeah, and I'm sure the inspector doesn't ever get pressure to approve shoddy construction just to meet the show's shooting schedule.

That sounds about as ill-thought-out as the decision by some local governments in Florida to allow developers to hire their own inspectors, in order to save themselves time and the gov't money. I wouldn't touch a house that passed inspection by the same company that built it. Talk about a conflict of interest.

HellT

Reply to
Hell Toupee

Especially since most of the 'professional builders' have been using unskilled laborers to save themselves money while building shoddy homes. Heck, a lot of the folks who've been building homes never lived in houses with electricity or running water before coming to the US, much less ever built them before. Hence all the product-defect class action suits being filed against major homebuilders in the past few years.

HellT

Reply to
Hell Toupee

You buy cars and TVs that way- furniture and appliances too. Even much of your FOOD is inpected by inspectors employed by the packing company.

Reply to
clare

You make it sound like municipal inspectors were actually looking at anything. During the boom they were leaving the office with 30-40 inspections a day, spread out over a 40 mile long territory. Believe me, they didn't do much real inspecting. They looked at the "thing of the day" and moved on.

Reply to
gfretwell