water heater problem

Hello, need some suggestions if anyone is willing:

A.O. Smith water heater, not more than 3-5 years old. Diagnostic LED's saying "System Lockout" which manual says is:

  1. Gas supply is off or too low to operate.
  2. Hot surface igniter not positioned correctly.
  3. Low voltage to the water heater.
  4. Electric polarity to unit is incorrect - test

The blower kicks on, igniter glows, gas kicks in, burner lights for a second then goes out and repeat 3x until it locks out again.

I took out the igniter and cleaned it off, but while doing this noticed that the mesh above the burner looked to be in pretty bad shape. Could this be causing the problem?

Reply to
daniel-matt

I had an issue with AO smith condensing controls, it was a bad connection somewhere locking it out, I just cleaned and tightened all wires.

Reply to
ransley

sounds like #1. Are the other gas items in the place working ok?

Steve Barker

I don't think its the gas, the furnace is working fine...

I cleaned up the HSI and sensor, vacuumed out the exhaust and such, and cleaned up electrical contacts and it seems to have taken care of it...we'll see. thanks for the input

Reply to
daniel-matt