Alternative to MacMaster-Carr?

They are pissing me off. Their website has some idiotic built-in protection against people who click too fast. I've never seen that anti-customer programming on any other online store's website, and I do plenty of online shopping.

Is there an alternative, currently?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

Try MSC and then I will see your reaction.

Then try Grainger.

Both of the above truly suck and there is no other alternative besides them.

Ignoramus14985

Fleabay?

Depends on what you want. Just about everything they sell can be found elsewhere. Just not many who have their selection and inventory.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

They jury is still out on MSC for me.

Grainger sucks runny effluent thru a straw and spits turds.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

click slower?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Switch to decaf?

Reply to
Myopic

I guess you're proof that you can't please everybody.

In my view Mc Master has HUGE selection of quality products at fair prices with INCREDIBLY great service.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Yet, if you call Grainger, they are pretty good on the phone.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Maybe you should offer to reprogram their entire web site.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Search for individual items? We use McMaster because it's quick, easy and we often get the stuff the same day. Most other sites like Granger and such suck much worse. Don't forget the costs of finding and ordering parts adds a lot to the total cost of the parts. Just embrace the horror and learn to work with McMaster.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Google might help you. Amazon Supply is the company that Amazon has formed to sell retail quantities of tubing, nuts, bar stock, et c. You seem rather overwhelmed by this design project. Have you considered speaking with a prototype maker? Not cheap but you seem to be really struggling with simple problems.

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

Try amazonsupply (they used to be smallparts.com).

But McMaster is pretty good overall, especially the CAD model integration and search engine (and their fulfilment). Bad points are that they won't export to small guys and they hide the real manufacturer of almost all the stuff they sell (usually, not always, it's good stuff though).

You can get a really wide range of stuff next day for a fairly reasonable price. We place multiple orders every week with them.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Sure- amazon. Of course they don't have the selection, the quality, or the knowledge. . . . customer service wise, they might be equal. . . shipping is a little slower on amazon. . . but they have a snazzy website, so that should do it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I had trouble figuring out how slowly they want me to click. If I were retarded, shopping at two or more different stores might be problematic. Doing so automatically decreases the number of clicks on McMaster's website and therefore should satisfy their maximum click requirement.

Reply to
John Doe

I don't drink caffeinated anything. Besides, I don't know what their clicking limit is.

Reply to
John Doe

Then to put a limit on browsing all that stuff is counterproductive.

Some hidden limit on using their website is not incredibly great service.

Reply to
John Doe

If you're so dedicated, maybe you should do that. I can just shop at other stores. Apparently 6061 aluminum flat bar is a lot cheaper elsewhere.

Reply to
John Doe

Yeah, I dwell on stuff. That's part of the learning process and it helps me devise stuff perfectly suited to my situation. For example... Nobody else would have devised this monitor hang adjuster for me, shown on my page.

"monitor hang"

I get a kick out of using that beautifully simple thing, every day.

Reply to
John Doe

I've not been disappointed with their cutting tools, and after my last experience with K*C's service (never got the product, so can't compare)... don't feel like trying too hard.

One issue with them hiding the manufacturer is that it's impossible to see what the detailed specifications and caveats really are on complex items- you're stuck with their very limited description and a few specs. Even Harbor Freight lets you download the manual so you can get a better idea if it will do what you want. But if they gave you the real manufacturer's part number it would make it easier to shop around I guess.. still I don't think most commercial customers would bother.. it's more important to get the stuff quickly at a reasonable price than to get rock bottom pricing.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

That doesn't seem to be at the root of his complaint; his complaint seems to be about the manner in which the web site functions.

Back to the original poster, what does "built-in protection against people who click too fast" mean?

Reply to
George Plimpton