Alternative to MacMaster-Carr?

I should think that it would be highly satisfying and amusing to use the customer contact number to call and ask them. It might also be just as interesting to track down the CEO and ask him/her

If I

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

What in the hell are you talking about?

What does it do if you "click too fast?" I just went over there and the pages won't refresh as fast as I can click, and I never once got anything that told me I was clicking too fast or too much.

Reply to
dennisgauge

It's not uncommon on their website. It has happened to me before. Currently, my access will resume in eight hours. So I'm looking around for the candid camera (and looking elsewhere)...

Reply to
John Doe

I think most of their prices are high.

Their website programming limits browsing. The only other place I've seen anything similar is on YouTube. On YouTube, if you make too many comments (something like posting to UseNet) over a period of time, YouTube will ask you to do the captcha thing. If McMaster is so uptight about protecting information on their website from bots that might gather that information, they should implement something like captcha instead of some one hour or more lockout on their customers for some undefined/unspecified browsing behavior.

Maybe they should have a clicking speed indicator pop-up window or something.

I have a feeling that if there are any bots out there that are trying to penetrate McMaster's website, they probably don't have much problem doing so. That's why captcha is so difficult to get through sometimes, because the bots adapt.

I'm not really sure what they are trying to protect. The notice says "To protect product information, we limit search activities on our web site."

You might be able to simulate the lockout thing by looking up "aluminum". Find the page that lists all of the aluminum types, like 2023, 6061, etc. I wanted to see which type was the most popular, so I began clicking on them to see how many products were available, and returning to click on the next. Apparently that prompted the first lockout. Not sure what caused the eight hour thing, maybe asking them for advice about where else to shop. But hey, if they are so helpful, they should be able to help me get around having to wait for eight hours before ordering aluminum.

Currently, I'm placing an order with

Their aluminum flat bar is half the price of McMaster.

Reply to
John Doe

There is no limit. I use their site frequently and never had a click limit. McMaster is far superior to Grainger.

I have to wonder if the OP is using W95 and 256k of memory.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

MSC and Grainger are the usual suspects.

Reply to
Larry W

They have some kind of anti-rip protection where if you view too many pages too fast it stalls you.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

John Doe wrote in news:jldtc5$10b$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

What on earth are you talking about? I've visited their site dozens of times, and never had any problems with it at all.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I am a gamer that uses speech to write and control my computer. Took many years and lots of technical know-how to operate a computer by voice. I'm not a communications/website expert, but I know exactly what I'm talking about. In fact, I provided a readout of the text message provided on their website.

This author is full of shit...

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

eternal-september.org!mx04.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!feeder.erje.net!news.glorb.com!border3.nntp.dca.giganews.com!Xl.tags.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!local2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail

sv3-jsuMDgoryJcXIcR6js8NnsYmJQP5p/4txOtewIlZrSD7rIKEbg3xtm0xLlEBkjtQdeHof6svZ/OQOFQ!Q2ZPxrgY++Ki1JUzA6+7ikeUPWcjyt7ifHWDSEjaLH/YjI5dEcLo4SRXZUGCBAJCrMpCHzb4

rec.crafts.metalworking:255814

Reply to
John Doe

John Doe wrote in news:jlfm4r$rpn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

"Your access will resume in eight hours"??? WTF are you talking about?

Reply to
Doug Miller

posting-host="p++YVkttPdK0gshfu4k5Zw"; logging-data="28065"; mail-complaints-to="abuse eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19wLO5GGVsH7wOZorgeUyrm"

rec.crafts.metalworking:255819

and never had any

Reply to
John Doe

I just placed an order with OnlineMetals.com. Their inventory is limited, but their aluminum flat bar is half the price. So that takes care of part of my order.

I provided the text of the McMaster error message, for anybody who can read.

Doug Miller wrote:

posting-host="p++YVkttPdK0gshfu4k5Zw"; logging-data="28065"; mail-complaints-to="abuse eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19CsiXtswB8KgxutAmOUd5Z"

Reply to
John Doe

John Doe wrote in news:jlfnnt$80k$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Nonsense. It does nothing of the sort. I think you ought to run a _thorough_ malware scan on your computer.

[...]

Tried that -- and didn't observe any of the stuff you claim to. Try it from a different computer, and see what happens.

Yabbut have you seen how much they charge for shipping???

Reply to
Doug Miller

John Doe wrote in news:jlfrj7$rs9$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Yes, but not what you did to provoke it, other than a general description.

Reply to
Doug Miller

John Doe wrote in news:jlfrql$rs9$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Yes, I read it. What you didn't provide is a description of what you did to cause it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

posting-host="p++YVkttPdK0gshfu4k5Zw"; logging-data="28065"; mail-complaints-to="abuse eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1/AOtNfCKSWDdxgILm8f8On"

rec.crafts.metalworking:255825

Reply to
John Doe

posting-host="p++YVkttPdK0gshfu4k5Zw"; logging-data="28065"; mail-complaints-to="abuse eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX18yICBN1fYmBHglLpXZsVNt"

Reply to
John Doe

posting-host="p++YVkttPdK0gshfu4k5Zw"; logging-data="28065"; mail-complaints-to="abuse eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1+WaDyUDYCCqGbp5T6f3C+s"

rec.crafts.metalworking:255823

malware scan on

different computer,

Reply to
John Doe

John Doe wrote in news:jlfs5f$rs9$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Obviously you did, if you can think.

And it didn't work, as I said in another post, if you can read.

Reply to
Doug Miller

John Doe wrote in news:jlfs8t$rs9$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

No, you didn't. You provided a vague description of what you *thought* *might* reproduce the problem.

If you weren't a clueless idiot, you might have realized that.

Reply to
Doug Miller