Alarm system transformer + power supply (would both go bad at once?)

You will measure 16.5 volts RMS AC when the load is 45 VA.

Use a 3 amp fuse.

Can you check the current draw with your meter on AC Amps? Just for reference.

Reply to
tm

And, the funny thing is, after digging a bit, I find out that the (suggested) price list was right here, all along, on the net!

Sheeesh! :)

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

Hi, Good for you. From the beginning I told you to replace x-former, check all the components on the board and test the battery with automotive 12V bulb. Maybe you have selective hearing or reading?, LOL! You are close to finish line now.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

This guy seems like one who can and will sell any Bosch Radionics board to anyone:

Danny D'Amico

Hi, That's why I still keep and use old Simpson 260. Probably I use it more than Fluke day in day out.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Well, actually, if I were a tech, I'd probably would have had the transformer on hand, and therefore, it would have taken an hour to get to this point.

As it was, I *immediately* ordered the transformer the moment I disconnected and tested it, because it clearly had a blown secondary.

In fact, contrary to what you may assume, I probably even ordered that well before you said to do it (it was blown, after all), so, it's not at all that I have "selective hearing"; it's just that it took a few days for the parts to arrive.

Had the parts arrived sooner, we'd be at this point sooner.

Anyway, I am now searching for the right battery to buy.

I'm not sure if they have a "series" size, like car batteries do, where batteries within a given series fit (e.g., side terminal, top terminal, etc.).

Anyway, the parts I either ordered or will order are:

  1. Transformer (received)
  2. Battery (to be ordered)
  3. D135A battery-protection circuit (after testing further)
Reply to
Danny D'Amico

Ah. I see. Makes sense. The voltage drops under load.

Again, makes sense. That (roughly) equals the rating.

I measured roughly 700Ma to 800Ma AC current out of the secondary winding when I powered it up and set the alarm and opened a door, etc.

Danny D'Amico

As long as the voltage is correct, and the form factor fits where you want to put it, that is your primary concern. Amp-hour rating should be spec or larger. Terminals are not really an issue. The anal retentive types will disagree, but if you have larger spade terminals, they will work on the smaller spade terminals that some batteries have.

*I presume you already know the current battery voltage, if not, check and make note of it*

In your case, test the board output (bypass the battery cut-out board--come directly off of alarm board) of the alarm board. Power system off (unplug transformer). Plug battery in and power system back on. Check the voltage at the battery terminals. 13.5 to 14.7 is an acceptable reading (anything 13 or above will work, just takes a bit more time to recharge and will not give a true full charge).

Note: Most charging systems do not give grief when a battery is disconnected while the system is powered up. I only state to turn off/disconnect power as a caveat. Make certain that neither lead comes in contact with anything else. Wrap each lead with tape or protect with non-conductive shell.

Unplug positive lead of battery and unpowered system. Let stand for half an hour and check the voltage of the battery. If above initial low reading, and steady, your battery probably is still good. You did start out at 13.5, originally.

Plug battery back in and power up system and let charge overnight. Unplug the battery and leave in place all day. I do believe I do not need to repeat myself as to how to do this. After a minimum of six hours, check the voltage of the battery. Is it 13.5?

Of course, you may check the charging voltage in 1 hour increments to verify that the charging system is lowering the charge voltage over time. Cooking a battery is not a good idea.

I still recommend buying a small U.P.S. to filter the input to the system, and providing additional run time. Someone here posted a link to a battery cut-out unit that was universal. Get it and install it. Don't mess with making the entire system OEM. Make it work and, if possible, work better.

Reply to
Nightcrawler®

I'm sure it's not new. It's completely understandable. Do you think McDonalds corp. will sell to you for a lousy $100,000 a year?

Reply to
krw

I hope you don't intend on having it connected to the police department. They will *really* frown on that.

Understandable. It's not reasonable to build cars out of Ford parts, either.

Huh?

Perhaps. It's their business. If you don't like it, go somewhere else.

Reply to
krw

Reasonable. You tested it with no load, right?

The secondary is isolated from the primary. Any measurements made across the isolation are meaningless.

Reply to
krw

Oh, yeah. I miss my old Simpson, and even my old Fluke 73 (damned thief). When tuning a Woodward 2301 or 2301A (or similar device), digital meters are to flakey to easily accomplish the task. I managed, without, but once in range of desired output eyeballing and a feel comes into play. Having a crappy fuel source really adds another layer of frustration. The dumb-ass plant operators that muck the settings up bring on the urge to punch something in the throat. :-)

Reply to
Nightcrawler®

Correct.

Also, when plugged into the alarm system, it only drew 800mA.

Thanks.

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

This is all good information. I will order a battery, and a new battery-protection board, which, I'm pretty sure, should solve the remaining problems.

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

Understood.

One security professional emailed me the following about the lack of DIY for this system: "The system you have is a upper level system so if you can utilize it then that is good. Radionics/Bosch never was intended as a DIY system. They were always geared for the upper end market and are used in High Security systems. Most banks, government divisions (including the FBI, Secret Service, Post office and the military use their equipment. They used to be even tighter with releasing their documentation prior to being acquired by Bosch. Regarding the CALL FOR SERVICE, that is normally a message that appears when the keypad does not receive any data from the control board for about two minutes. You can confirm that by powering up one of your keypads with 12VDC only with no connection to the panel."

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

I don't think we have proved the battery protection board is bad yet.

You should connect it up to the panel and see if the relay will pull in and that you have DC voltage on the red and black battery leads.

Then install the new battery and see what the charging current looks like.

Reply to
tm

There are two sizes of terminals in that current range. 3/16" wide and

1/4" wide The 3/16" is common in low current applications, and the 1/4" in UPS.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have no idea what a McDonalds franchise costs. These companies were refusing to sell wire and door switches. Items that other companies begged to sell us, and they carried the same brands.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"How Much Does a McDonald's Franchise Cost?" The McDonald's Corporation requires a minimum of $250,000 of non-borrowed personal resources to consider you for a franchise. In other words you need $250,000 cash on hand to just start the discussion process with McDonald's."

Their business model. If you don't like it, buy from the companies that were begging for your business. Some don't take their franchise agreement seriously. Others would rather not risk their livelihood.

Reply to
krw

I have nothing to discuss with them. I might go there twice a year. There is at least one closed franchise near here. Boarded up for years. It's next to a Lockheed Martin factory. A half dozen other fast food places are empty, as well. One was only open two months before it closed.

They dropped the minimums after we started buying from their competition, but their prices were more than double what other vendors wanted. Hell, we could buy it cheaper from the OEM, than from some of obnoxious wholesalers. In fact, we could buy custom branded sensors for less than their OTS inventory.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell