Air Conditioning Compressor Constantly Running

Hi

Our air conditioner's compressor seems to be running long after the fan turns off. Tonight it ran for over 1 hour after the fan turned off.

Is this a sign of the compressor about to break or is there something I can do to troubleshoot this problem? The air filter is clean and the unit is dust and dirt free. It's mounted on our roof and we live in Arizona. What is the typical life expectancy of an air compressor?

Thanks

Jeff

Reply to
jeff mattison

Air compressor? 20, 30 years. Freon compressor? Ahhh, that's a totally different subject.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

If you are talking about the inside fan (the one in the furnace / air handler) then most likely you have a sticking contactor. Allowing the compressor / condenser to continue running with no 'load' on it from the evaporator (fan) isn't good for it, and will definitely shorten its life. The contactor is inside the condensing unit and generally isn't something that a homeowner should try to fix (high voltages and all that). Time to call a professional.

I've seen published numbers for A/C life from eight to 15 years. I've personally had well maintained systems go twenty years or more, but a system of that vintage today is inefficient compared to what is available now. At some point you are better off installing a new system than continuing to have the old one repaired.

HTH.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Ohh..not good.

What you probably have is a stuck contactor. Ants, or other bugs commonly get into these, and will at times get the unit stuck...or the contact points arc and will tend to "weld" together as the points have worn past their useful life. The problem at this point is not that its stuck, since its a relativly simple repair, but what is happening to the compressor as its running with no airflow over the indoor evaporator coil. You are actually creating what we call a floodback condition, and in plain english what is happening is that you are not getting refrigerant back to the compressor in a gassious form, but in a liquid. When liquid refrigerant is being brought to the compressor, you are risking damage to the valves, and the bearings, since the oil is being washed away.

Air compressor? you mean your AC units compressor I am sure, since at no time should there EVER be air in the compressor, or the refrigeration lines.. Depending on the age of the current unit, 10-15 years, or till it breaks.

Reply to
CBHVAC

This is Turtle.

Your having a malifuction with the Condenser contactor or the some short in the wiring 24 volt system. If your not handy with electric equipment it might be better to have a service company look at it for the sticking contactor in the condenser. Now this is not a sign in anyway as to you have a bad compressor at all. You may understand me if thing go a certain way.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE