Air Conditioning..

I am looking into getting airconditiong installed and I am getting a few quotes but I was wondering if anybody can tell me what I should be looking for in a unit.

Reply to
King

A LOAD calculation is first in writing or they should walk

Reply to
m Ransley

Google on "Air Conditioning"?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

try alt.home.repair

Reply to
GFRfan

Don't start by looking at the unit. Start by looking at the contractor.

A good contractor will not sell you junk equipment.

The best equipment not installed properly will never work properly.

Get and check references from any contractor. Make sure they do a formal load calculation and check not only for the total cooling required, but also the ductwork required. Make sure they have workman's comp paid current.

Let them pick the brand of equipment that they know is good and familiar working with.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

What is a load calculation??

Reply to
King

Reply to
King

A load calc, or a Manual J, or T, or N, depending on the situation, is what is needed. Measurements of each room, door, window and wall is taken. Insulation values, and window types are noted. The calculation is computed, and it tells the contractor what total BTU rating is needed for heat, and cooling. The calculation will also tell them how many BTUs are needed for each room, and thus, then the duct calculation can be completed.

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

Calculates how much heating or cooling power you need for your home. Measure the walls, windows, etc. and plug the data into a formula.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How long in business. Talk to a couple previous customers. See if the tech is polite, or uses crude language.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

King, Whenever I antisipate spending a chuck of money, I usually consult "Consumer Reports". Their product reviews point out what to look for as well as what is recommended.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Someone named "King" Proclaimed on Thu,

20 May 2004 01:01:29 GMT,

I reposted your question to alt.hvac for you. Those guys are the best!

Love,

Robert L. Bass

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Stormin who gives a shit if a tech is "Polite or uses crude language" cons HAVE to be polite or nobody would listen. The last guy that conned me was nice as could be and preached and preached, and preached. With every tough question he preached till I got smart and threw his lian ass out.

Refrences, thats all you need , lots of refrences. And a few bids. If King could get CB he would be lucky cause CB will get it done right the first time.

Reply to
m Ransley

Wrong group. It's alt.home.repair you want

Reply to
bill

Crude language? Maybe if you find that offensive you don't want the guy in your house but if the F word makes my repairman happy and he does good work he can say it all day long. I'll even say it with him. my 2 cents cj

Reply to
CJ

Yo.

The ac needs to be put in a place in the garden.

Or is yours in your front yard?

Death to the christian jew cop government.

Reply to
Colonel Polyps

Thanks!!!....

Reply to
King

wrong group

Reply to
bill

Sounds like you do what you have to in order to keep your tradesman content. Must work for you? Do what works....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I will take an Honest BSn bunch of happy crap talkin techs any day over a Polite sweet spamin hack any year. Or its down to file small claims for me, then the Fun Begins.

Reply to
m Ransley