Air Conditioner

Every time I have my air conditioner serviced the service guy recommends installing what he calls a soft start to assist the compressor in starting and extend its life. Is this really a worthwile investment and if so what would be a reasonable price?

Reply to
colglbo

It may help if the conditioner is on its last legs. If it was needed, the factory should have installed it. I have seen some already installed and the same company not install them on similar but different units.

Yes, it depends on what they want to charge. A couple of years ago my AC quit and the service man came out and in less than 20 minuits he had found a bad capacitor and had it replaced. The capacitor can be bought at a store for less than $ 20, but the companies going rate to install it was about $ 300.

I can see them charging aoundd $ 50 for a capacitor and the $ 100 minimum service call, but not that extra $ 150.

The service man was very nice and knew what he was talking about and told me a few things. About 3 years later the capacitor went out,but I had bought one and a relay that may go bad for about $ 20 each. Replaced the capacitor myself in about 10 minutes and all was well again. Saved about $ 300.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I would add if it starts OK every time, I would leave it alone. I don't see the process by which it would extend the life. But if it's occasionally tripping the breaker when starting, then I'd put one in. I had that happening on my central AC that was about 10 years old at the time. It solved it and it continued running for another 15 years with no problems, was still running when I replaced it. And actually they are referred to here as a "hard start kit", but it's the same idea. It's a cap that helps get it started.

Reply to
trader_4

On 7/13/2018 11:15 AM, trader_4 wrote: ...

It won't have anything at all to do w/ the life of the compressor; it _may_ extend motor life a little...

Reply to
dpb