air cleaner

He had the money...so what? It was to make a point you failed to see.

Nah...see...if THAT was the case, you need to get everyone to stop driving, shut down EVERY oil and coal furnace in the country, and for sure need to make sure that no one EVER fires up a BBQ in the summer. You home has more carcenigens in it than a truckload of smokes....but you knew that as a RN right? Hope its not brick....or you own a TV, or anything like a computer monitor...no fiberglass insulation in it either..all that contributes to cancers...but you knew that right?

So I assume you have the same problem with you enter your home...since its a proven fact that most homes indoor air is up to 10X more dirty than the air outside...or are you allergic to tobacco?

Funny....as a smoker, thats not how I smoke, but I will consider it from now on. I also tend to try to accept other peoples point of view, but I figure if you are going to enter a place that you know that they allow smoking, and then complain about it, then thats YOUR problem, not mine. Also, as someone that designs, and repairs HVAC systems in these places that you talk about, you DO know that no matter where you go in such an establishment, you are subjected to the same smoke that you probably claim you cant tell is there. We have designed several systems just for folks like you and it adds normally 5 to 10 THOUSAND dollars to the typical commercial installation....dont blame the smoker for the air inthe place not being to your liking, blame it on the owner that didnt really care to cater to you.

But yet, in your home, where the air will be up to 10X more dirty than in that same establishment, you dont have anything but a fiberglass filter, no heat recovery units, UV lamps like are used in almost EVERY hospitals HVAC system, or anything resembling a decent air filtration system...and if you DO consider it, you gripe over the cost...yet if you walk into my home, you wont even know a smoker lives there....but then I knew that I was gonna put in the ERVs HRVs and UVCs when I bought the home....I am more worried about the fiberglass, asbestos and chemicals I work with than the 10 or so Marlboros I smoke daily.

If you enter a restaurant that allows smoking, then you get to allow the smokers to smoke as they wish...and if you complain in one that I am in, and complain about MY smoke, that is your right, but its also my right to tell you to leave, deal with it, or stop interupting my meal. I also have the right to reach over and bitchslap you, knowing that you have the right to press charges, but remember, its my right to defend my rights as well...

Rights my ass...where is it written that you have the right to tell me how to control what I do, in a place that allows it? Hint : You dont.

I will tell you this, as someone that works on such equipment, including the refrigeration end of restaurants, the air quality is the least of my worries...bet you havent seen the inside of most coolers, or freezers.....yet you eat that food.... There is only one place that I service, that I will eat at. I have yet to find any restaurant that has a clean cooler area, and what I love is when you get the call to come fix the cooler, to find that its been down for 3 days, and the ONLY reason you are getting called out to repair it, is that an inspection is due...

Bigger things to worry about than cig smoke....especially when you figure, (and being in Carolina as am I you should know this) that the medical profession profits hugely off this, and if you shut down the industry tomorrow, in 20 years you wont have a job. Well...you might...I am sure that the doctors will find something else to profit from....and they will need RNs that know what they are doing...

Reply to
steve

Gary-

I'm with you on "smoking saves the govt money over the long haul".

Before everyone jumps all over me.......I don't smoke, don't really like second hand smoke but I dislike the govt bossing everyone around.

Let small groups decide, millions of individual decisions have got to be better than the folks in DC or the statehouses.

Vote with you feet & your $'s; go (or don't) to smoking or non-smoking restuarant or place of work.

On the "smoking saves the govt money over the long haul" thing........

Everyone eventually dies, some large % of ones total lifetime health care expenditure is expended very near the end of ones life.

So if one is on Medicare & Social Security after he stops working then is it not economically beneficial to the govt to minimize the time spent on these programs?

Is this not why the govt is raising the retirement age?

I think the anti-smoking crowd should at least be open to the concept that perhaps smoking is a net postive cash flow for the govt.

As long s it kils the smoker after he has stopped working & paying taxes :)

Also as big believer in the power of tech, why not just control the smoke at the source, air cleaning ash trays as well as HEPA filters.

BTW indoor air quality is pretty bad even without smoking.........blue staters maybe we need some federal indoor air quality standards?

cheers

Bob

this is for Gary, have you considered growing your own? I looked into it & smokes can be grown for a small fraction of the current retail cost

Reply to
Bob K 207

Quit.

Reply to
steve

there. Nor do

immediately).

home...since its a

than the air

a restaurant

ever noticed

food arrives,

Never mind

consider it from now

figure if

smoking, and

these places that

an

probably claim

adds

not being to

cater to you.

dirty than in

fiberglass filter, no

hospitals HVAC

system...and if you

my home, you

was gonna put

worried about

or so

allow the

I am in, and

right to tell

that you have

defend my rights

tell me how

dont.

including the

of my

have yet to

love is when

down for 3

it, is that

You obviously have no idea how BAD cigarette smoke smells. You probably can't even smell the smoker that just came in from his fix. It's enough to gag many of us.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

am

Does anyone

I've done that. If everyone that felt the same had done the same, companies would have change their smoking rules way earlier.

The last company I quit because of smokers finally went non-smoking. It happened after one of the worst smokers got deathly sick. She quit smoking in the hospital, went home and got well - came back and got sick. After a couple of cycles of this, the company finally figured out how bad smoke was for people.

OP - personally, I would try to find an "electronic" air cleaner. The electrostatic principle on which they operate is resonable effective for removing smoke.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

It smells bad to some....I understand that. So do the coils that we get to clean in most non smokers homes....really...the nicotine must kill the hell out of bacteria on them...:)

Reply to
steve

Oh, yes I can! I can smell a cigarette at 100 yards on a calm day outdoors.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
JoKing

force me to pay outrageous taxes?

Um...well, yes it is.

Reply to
JoKing

On the contrary, you have a right to put whatever you want in your body, because you own yourself. Because you own yourself, you have certain unalienable rights (rights from which you cannot be separated) to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. This is the basis of a free society.

If you do not own yourself, then there is no such thing as rights. Everything is a privelege. This is the basis of a totalitarian society.

We have long been headed in the direction of totalitarianism. For our own good, of course.

Liberals are thieves and dictators, unlike conservatives who are dictators and thieves.

Reply to
Gary R. Lloyd

Um... well, no it isn't.