Ah, the enjoyment of gun ownership and use...

READSBORO ? State police say a Vermont hunter shot a friend who was tracking a deer and then killed himself after realizing his friend was dead.

Sgt. Albert Abdelnour says three men were hunting midday Saturday in southwestern Vermont when 39-year-old Benjamin Birch, of Readsboro, shot a deer. The injured deer ran, and Birch and the two other men chased after it.

Police say 49-year-old Timothy Bolognani, of Readsboro, then fired a shot and heard Birch cry out. Bolognani and the third man found Birch injured from the gunshot, and he died.

Abdelnour says a "distraught" Bolognani then used his rifle to kill himself.

An autopsy will be conducted on the two bodies. State police say there is no evidence of foul play.

---------------

At least they're taking themselves out, one gun owner at a time (or in this case, two).

If it wasn't from hunting deer, it would be the impending global financial crash and resulting economic turmoil. Those in the US that will be pushed over the financial edge will resort to the handgun under their mattress as they exit themselves (and their families) from this earthly stage.

Reply to
Home Guy

Oh eat me. This is a truly sad story and your politicizing it makes you just look like an asshole.

Reply to
Nate Nagel

What a co-winkydink. Acting like an asshole makes YOU look jes like an asshole.

nb

Reply to
notbob

So you are so dumb you think the only way one can suicide is from a gun? amazing, even my mentally challenged cousin knows better than that.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

If that was aimed at me, show me where I've acted like an asshole.

Hint: calling some mean-spirited idiot lowlife an asshole is not "acting like an asshole." The world would be a nicer place if people weren't afraid to stop every now and then and say "hey, man, that's not cool, knock it off."

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Unfortunately, that's not what you posted.

nb

Reply to
notbob

The OP deserved a stronger caution, especially given his recent history of posting deliberately inflammatory anti-US material. That last post crossed the line to "despicable human being" (if "human being" can be used to describe someone that sick and devoid of feelings.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Harry K used improper message composition style by unnecessarily full-quoting:

Show me where I actually said that "the only way one can commit suicide is from a gun".

You're the one with a reading comprehension problem, you dolt. And I thought that english was your native language.

But since you brought it up, here - I'll rub your nose in this:

=========== In the United States, firearms remain the most common method of suicide, accounting for 53.7% of all suicides committed during 2003 ===========

So even if I DID claim that firearms was the MOST common or typical way to commit suicide in the US - I'd be right.

And given that there are something like a handful of guns per US household (just going by the raw numbers) it's a no brainer why guns are the method of choice for suicide.

Now go and straighten up you nose and use some common sense before you try to shoot me down.

Reply to
Home Guy

Some people can't handle the responsibility of having a gun in their possession just like some people can't handle the responsibility of being able to drive. It's why I shake my head in disbelief when I hear some gun enthusiasts say that there should be a law that requires everyone to carry a gun.

-C-

Reply to
Country

Actually he posted a very reasonable on target response using real words.

Reply to
George

Childish name calling will always reinforce your point...

Reply to
George

Actually I believe there is a similar law in Switzerland.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

What is this alt.suicide.prevention?

I can't see any link to home repair at all.

This is an interesting case study of psychology. Who would of thought that guilt over an accident would lead to suicide. My guess is there is more going on than the article reveals. Can't say what, but I'm thinking alcohol, pre-existing depression, or something else.

This is totally uncalled for. As a card carrying liberal* I have nothing against guns or gun owners. Shooting guns and getting out into the woods is lots of fun.

  • I used to think of myself as someone that often voted Democrat but was able to see both sides. I found that even being in favor of the death penalty and other right wing stances is not enough anymore. You're either a right wing fanatic or you're a liberal commie pinko.
Reply to
despen

He (Nate Nagel) posted a very emotional if not irrational response to my dry and accurate (if depressing) commentary regarding the quoted story.

He acused me of "politicizing" - as if any aspect of gun ownership and use in the US can be discussed in any other terms. Gun issues rank right up there with abortion and taxes as being the MOST political issues in the US.

Guns are and will be used to kill innocent people, intentionally, by accident, and under very depressing circumstances. Gun proponents can't wish those events away no matter how hard they try.

Reply to
Home Guy

Nice try at a diversion.

What were you trying to say here:

========= even my mentally challenged cousin knows better than that. =========

If that isin't a back-door way of calling me "mentally challenged" then I invite your explanation.

I note that you did not rebutt the more pertinent aspects of my response

- an indication that you surrendered those points to me.

Reply to
Home Guy

There are no "gun issues" save for people owning them who have not been properly trained in the safe use and handling thereof. US citizens have the right to own guns, don't like it, don't live here - and don't criticize us for our choices if you live elsewhere.

It was a hunting accident, you moron. Now there possibly (likely?) was a lapse of judgment involved, but that doesn't make it any less tragic, nor is an anecdote any kind of justification for running around and yelling "guns are bad! see? see?"

Let me guess, you think that meat magically appears on little shrink-wrapped styrofoam trays?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

maybe not, but you're still an asshole

Reply to
ChairMan

I wouldn't call it homicide, more like stupidity. If the dude didn't shoot himself, he would have to live with it. Unless it was something other than a stupid "accident", I think the D.A. should not become involved.

Sad story.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Comprehension problem here and trying to do the math. Errr ... "a handful of guns" .... Is that like one ... or do you, and those that you know, have very, very small guns or just large hands?

Reply to
Forrest

It WAS a homicide (the killing of one human by the act or omission of another). As to the TYPE of homicide, that's determined by the facts:

  • The shooter intended to kill the victim = Murder
  • The victim bragged that he porked the shooter's wife = manslaughter
  • The shooter fired at a moving bush = Negligent
  • The shooter merely retured fire = Justifiable
  • The victim jumped from behind a tree wearing a deer costume = Excusable
Reply to
HeyBub