AFCI is buzzing?

I have an AFCI breaker in my panel and it makes a buzzing sound. Turn it off and it does not buzz. I hold the breaker switch and it seems to be better, but not gone. This is my first AFCI breaker, is this normal?

Not much plugged into it. We are still under construction, so nothing in the house yet. Sometimes I have a ChopSaw connected to it. Would having the ChopSaw on an AFCI degrade the breaker any?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Hi, You are talking about GFCI? Saw is an inductive load. Buzzs without saw plugged in?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

No I'm talking about an AFCI (Arc Fault). It is required here in California for bedrooms. Its got a blue reset button instead of a white one.

Pretty sure that it buzzes without it plugged >> I have an AFCI breaker in my panel and it makes a buzzing sound. Turn it

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Yep, buzz/hums with nothing plugged in. I don't think it did when it was first installed.

They are fricken expensive though...

> I have an AFCI breaker in my panel and it makes a buzzing sound. Turn it

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Hi, Ouch! I was not thinking. Only way to make sure is to try another one. Those surge sensor inside the breaker is known for that.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Scott Townsend

It contains a power transformer that may hum (60 or 120Hz). May be normal depending on how loud it is. If it is too loud you may be able to return it.

-- bud--

Reply to
bud--