Accuracy of laser-based measuring devices

Hello all,

The local hardware store had a Bosch brand laser-based distance measurer at a good price, and I bought one.

The other day it is measuring my 72" wide opening as 6' 11"!

Does the color of the surface, reflectivity, etc. affect the accuracy?

Thanks,

Deguza

Reply to
Deguza

Surprised this thing is so accurate. My Leupold range finder for outdoors up to 800 yards will not measure short distances. Looking at Bosch reviews in Amazon, it is harder to use in full brightness so surface color may have some effect. Some reviews say it can be accurate to 1/16th inch but others say a few inches. I certainly would prefer to use a tape measure for small distances.

I noticed that Bosch customer service answered most questions asked on Amazon so you might try asking there or emailing them if you can.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Thank you for leading me to the Amazon site. It solved the problem!

The clear picture that showed that the device measures displays not only the inches but also the fractions. My eyesight is poor and I was not seeing the fractions!

I went and measured the opening again, then looked at the display with a magnifier. The display shows 5' 11" 27/32.

I have to get glasses...

Deguza

Reply to
Deguza

On Sun, 22 Nov 2020 22:03:21 -0800 (PST), Deguza posted for all of us to digest...

You can have mine. Whatever I see it's wrong, so my wife tells me...

Reply to
Tekkie©

I have glasses but also have eyes going downhill. Nothing works as well when we get old. An ideal range finder besides showing distance would announce it to us oldies.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

On Tue, 24 Nov 2020 14:16:00 -0500, Frank posted for all of us to digest...

I would have to have a hearing aid. (Not my wife)

Reply to
Tekkie©