A genuine home repair question.

It's not all that difficult to make tritium but it hasn't been done in thirty years (political anti-nuke stuff). It's half-life of tritium (12 years) is far-faster than uranium (a large fraction of the age of the Earth) but manageable for nuke weapons.

Reply to
krw

Yes, a nanosecond or three makes a big difference. Look at the bomb and you'll see the wires sticking out of the thing. Since then, the exact timing of these signals is used as one of the security measures. The timing has to be loaded (securely) detonate, rather than fizzle, the bomb.

The lenses were needed to get the needed shock wave. This sort of thing is common in shaped charges, though not as precise as it has to be in a nuke.

Reply to
krw

A nanosecond per foot. There were also delay lines, mostly for clocking.

Reply to
krw

Wrong again. The Trinity test in NM was an implosion bomb, you can clearly see that from the shape, it was a round sphere, stupid. And there are many photos showing that, showing the wires coming out all over the sphere, most for the symmetrical detonators. The first and AFAIK only US detonation of a gun device was at Hiroshima.

Reply to
trader_4

I see you still lie like a rug. You claimed that plutonium bombs were gun type. That's wrong. Again, the only gun type bomb that I know of that the US detonated was at Hiroshima and it used U-235. Plutonium can not be used in a gun type device, which is what lead to the focus on implosion designs, which are much harder.

Reply to
trader_4

No one knew anything would work for sure in 1945, stupid. But keep spinning....

Reply to
trader_4

Your cite for that ? Not what I'm seeing. I'm seeing the Trinity test was an implosion device using plutonium and the first and only detonation by the US of a gun type was using U-235 at Hiroshima.

Reply to
trader_4

It's actually H, 2H, and 3H, or if you prefer H, D, and T. H2 would be two hydrogen atoms stuck together (and they're not going to stick).

Reply to
krw

I looked in a book - just lithium deuteride was used, which becomes tritium in the fission bomb radiation. The lithium used is an isotope, atomic number 6, which is 7.4% of natural lithium.

Reply to
bud--

You're wrong, of course. There was no reason to test it. The Pt bomb was a whole different kettle.

Reply to
krw

I corrected that *long* before you posted, stupid.

Reply to
krw

Revised revision.

Lithium deuteride absorbs a neutron from the fission bomb radiation and forms an atom of helium, and deuterium and tritium. The deuterium and tritium are then involved in the fusion.

Reply to
bud--

I like the first sentence. But going back to chemistry classes long ago, many pure gasses will combine with themselves, like N2 and O2. Also H2.

Reply to
bud--