A/C Replacement: Puron or Freon? (R-410a or R-22)?

You DO know the difference between ground level ozone, and the ozone we are talking about..right?????

Reply to
Carolina Breeze HVAC

You're thinking of the "Lakawana Six" who all pled guilty to terrorism-related activities. Nothing to do with mushrooms. The Patriot Act is designed to be used against both citizens and non-citizens who conspire to commit mass murder.

There was an investigation into the hazmat stuff found in the basement of a Buffalo home where police were called to investigate a death. Owner said it was "art." No charges were filed

Story at:

JerryMouse

This is Turtle.

I do this type of business for a living and have watched a lot of shinning star new freons come and go. I watched R-12 , R-500 , R-134-A , come and go and still see R-22 still the norm. Now I'm seeing R-410-A or AZ-20 coming for A/C units. I have been tricked too may times to jump on the band wagon just yet. In another 4 or 5 years when it is truely decided to be the norm. i will join the band wagon to go with it. For now R-22 is a winner but in the near future R-410-A or AZ-20 may be the norm.

Have you concidered using AZ-20 in stead of R-410-A ?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Haha I do not recall saying I was, "scared or intimidated ", by R410.

More comments inserted below.

IMO, Puron was a marketing decision. If you disagree thats OK by me.

I never heard anyone complain that R22 used POE.

So we agree then. As we both know good workmanship is not the norm so we can expect POE to be a problem. Gald we cleared that up (-:

You are correct systems are performing just fine with R410. And the pressure debate is muted by proper design.

You are also correct refer techs will get this right. That's a given but NOT applicable to R410 use.

There is no way I believe you believe the average RESIDENTIAL tech out there gives one hoot about proper method. It's a gas-n-go world.

Amway's your biggest argument seems to be saying it scares me, I'm not trained, I don't understand basic refrigeration, etc. I'm not sure attacking me makes R410 a good thing .

In closing, R410 sucks (-:

Reply to
GETCOOL-MARK

I've reposted the article. You can decide if it is the same case. I don't t hink it is.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It was the tone, not something you specifically said.

Ditto.

I do disagree, and it's fine with me if you disagree with that. :-)

OK, as you can see - this response was to the lose an eye comment, the POE comment is below. The complaints were that R22 was running so high pressures the jugs were going to explode and it might put someone's eye out..........

Yep, I'll be glad when the hacks can't afford insurance to cover their screw ups and the trade benefits from the resulting better quality of technician.

Then let the industry change. Maybe it will increase the wages for technicians and improve the quality of work provided to homeowners if we get rid of the ignorant techs. I believe that the average RESIDENTIAL tech should give a hoot about proper methods and if the owner of the company sends the slacker out to do a job, he should be strung up as well.

Attacking? I haven't attacked anyone. I debated your comments on R-410a. I simply stated that the tone of your post was that the pressures related to

410 were dangerous, i.e. "someone's going to lose an eye" and that that interpretation was fallible.

I understand the humor you scatter throughout your reply but I must say that the overall message seems to be that R-410 won't work because the industry is riddled with poor workmanship and complacent technicians. I say that the substandard work can stop and the industry can move forward. I'm not sure saying the industry is unable to grasp the concept makes R410 a bad thing, doesn't it sound like possibly the industry is the bad thing and needs a bit of housekeeping?

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

haha yeah the "lose an eye" was meant as a joke as is common. I should use more smileys (-:

Yes thats it. I have 0 faith in my fellow tech. I think it will get worse and never get better.

South Florida is bad and most all techs are the gas-n-go types. No one wants to turn down work so owners hire as best they can. Its fubar for sure. The labor pool has been drained and refilled with whats available.

oh yeah 410 sucks (-:

Reply to
GETCOOL-MARK

Maybe we should start a movement to pull the plug on it and refill it with what's needed. :-D

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

When they design the systems for flushing oil as MVAC units are, POE is no big deal. The best workmanship in the world won't help POE in a system that leaked out do to some failure and has had time to absorb moisture.

The MVAC industry addressed this a long time ago.

gerry

Reply to
gerry

Refrigeration is what I was speaking of, not MVAC.

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

So was I! I'll add a few words to my first sentence to clarify.

When they design sealed compressor systems as used in refrigeration and HVAC for flushing like MVAC systems are designed...

gerry

Reply to
gerry