A/C compressor shut off

After the house got fairly warm today, i realized the outside unit had shutoff. The top of the unit where the fan motor sits is rather warm. I currently have everything turned off to let it cooldown as i think (hope) it just overheated.

The unit has pretty much been running non-stop, and is only 3 years old. I'm trying to track down my paperwork but i'm pretty sure it's still under warranty (its a Carrier). If anyone has any insights it would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
bret.galyean

check your fusesin the disconnect

Reply to
sym

well, it didn't work. The fuse is fine and all, and when i turned the system back on i could feel the power in the compressor. The hum of the capacitors was apparant, and every 10 seconds or so there was an electroni "click" sound, which to me sounded like the system was trying to click on. I'm at a loss and about to call a repair man, but any other advice would be great.

Reply to
bret.galyean

Sounds to me like you are in over your head. My #1 guess is start capacitor though.

Reply to
scott21230

My system did something similar. I noticed the lights would dim in the house for a few seconds when starting, but no cooling. Knowing about motors, I went straight for the capacitor and found it had gone open circuit. $17 later I had a new one in and cooling again.

If not the cap, it may need a hard start kit. If not that it may be done.

It is hard to tell from here, better call a pro. John

Reply to
JohnR66

i would try load testing it as its trying to start but i think its falling into to havac dept im good with furnaces but not a/c

Reply to
sym