Subject Author Posted Replies

What area does my sump pump drain?
The thread about sump pumps reminded me. I live in a row of 8 townhouses. I'm at one end. Every house has a sump pump, in part because Baltimore County law requires them now for basements below grade....
1
1

OT: Education reforms
A recent study reported that women entering the workplace earn only 78% (as I recall) as much as their male recent graduate colleagues. Of course this is in aggregate; the study compared males who...
3
3

Countertop ideas for a workbench?
My work bench is 1/2 inch CDX. What do you expect to repair? Are you an air craft mechanic, or what? Mine with 1/2 inch plywood has been plenty fine. Please put in several power sockets, they come in...
28
28

Sawing laminate countertop to length
Looking for suggestions as to the best way to cleanly saw (straight, square, no tear-out) about 18 inches off the length of a 10ft Lowe's laminate coutertop: this thing has a 5" integrated backsplash,...
16
16

Lessons from Sandy
For me, they include: * Run the generator every year * Boredom is a terrible thing * Candles don't put out enough light to be useful. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus .
250
250

920,000 xmas lights and still going
I'm making my plans to decorate my house this Christmas. So far, I have 920,000 lights in the plans, and I'm still going. By the end, there will be over a million. Most of the small ones are LEDs, but...
15
15

(OT) Will a cellphone work under water?
Assuming a cellphone could be made to be water resistant, would they get a signal under water? Obviously, no one can talk under water, so texting would be the only option. But I doubt that there is...
10
10

PorterCable7514
I have an old PorterCable 7514 half inch drill,I've been trying to replace the chuck the usual way,no good. I went to the porter cable site not old question is,is there a special way of taking out the...
2
2

Manhattan electrical substation explosion
... Don't know as ConEd has had time to worry about the "why" yet but it was a transformer explosion. Possible causes are water penetration caused an internal insulation failure or it's possible wind...
6
6

What happens now to the election due to Hurricane Sandy?
Okay, there are an estimated 6-10 million people without power in the Atlantic coastal United States. This power outage could easily last past November 6 in many areas, which of course is election...
53
53

WTH???
I live in Sandy's path. My understanding is the democratic robo calls were put to a cease during this crisis, which will affect 60 million people. I've gotten 5 robotic calls from the republican party...
1
1

Sump Pump Question
I know how a sump pump works, but I don't have one so I'm not clear on how they are plumbed. I'm asking this question for a friend who recently had a house built with a sump pump. Everything you're...
9
9

Decorate Your House With Lights For Halloween
Some folks go all out to celebrate the holidays in a very elaborate way. I can remember one fellow who decorated his family home for Christmas and it attracted sightseers from all over. Nowadays...
1
1

Plumber screwup leads to stained ceiling
I had a plumber in a few weeks ago working on some of our toilets. He re-installed the toilet in the master bathroom and all was well. The next day I noticed the ceiling in the laundry room (directly...
3
3

OT: New Jersey govenor
I'm confused by which name the NJ governor goes by based on what CNN reported this morning. Is it Chris Cristie or Cristie Presser ? Google didn't help me so far.
7
7