What happens now to the election due to Hurricane Sandy?

Okay, there are an estimated 6-10 million people without power in the Atlantic coastal United States. This power outage could easily last past November 6 in many areas, which of course is election day.

With public transportation disrupted or non-existent, or no power at the polling places - what will happen if millions can not vote because of the storm's effects?

Five "swing states" are heavily affected by the storm. They include:

MAINE NEW HAMPSHIRE NORTH CAROLINA OHIO PENNSYLVANIA VIRGINIA

If these people are unable to vote due to flooding, power outages, lack of transportation, etc... what "backup plan" is there, if any? If the election were to be postponed, it would only seem fair to postpone it for *every* state and territory. It wouldn't be right if 16/50 states had to wait while the rest of the country votes on Nov. 6th.

Does anyone know if there is a law that provides for postponement in the event of a natural disaster?

(Best viewed with at least 72 chars. width)

"States Affected by Sandy" "Swing States" "Affected Swingers"

CONNECTICUT Arizona MAINE DELAWARE Colorado NEW HAMPSHIRE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA Florida NORTH CAROLINA MAINE Iowa OHIO MARYLAND Main PENNSYLVANIA MASSACHUSETTS Michigan VIRGINIA NEW HAMPSHIRE Minnesota NEW JERSEY Nevada NEW YORK New Hampshire NORTH CAROLINA New Mexico OHIO North Carolina PENNSYLVANIA Ohio RHODE ISLAND Pennsylvania SOUTH CAROLINA Virginia VIRGINIA Wisconsin WEST VIRGINIA

Reply to
G. Morgan

Per CNN, it is determined by state.

Reply to
Doug

In general, true, BUT election for federal office was established by Congress as the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. Individual states may tinker at the margins, such as hours of operation, early voting, etc., but a state can't actually CHANGE the official election date.

Come to think on it, though, if a state has, so far, unfettered ability to massage "early" or "absentee" voting, it seems possible that a state could set up "late" voting under the same logic.

Reply to
HeyBub

But Congress could since the only thing in the Constitution is that Congress will set things up (the unstated part being whenever they damn well decided they wanted to). However, getting Congress together to pass anything in the timeframe is sorta iffy.

2 USC § 7 - Time of election states the first Tuesday after the first Monday.

Not really. The first Tuesday, etc., is the day of ELECTION under 2 USC. That has to be day they are counted. When the VOTING takes place is open as long as done by then.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

With public transportation disrupted or non-existent, or no power at the polling places - what will happen if millions can not vote because of the storm's effects?

Five "swing states" are heavily affected by the storm. They include:

MAINE NEW HAMPSHIRE NORTH CAROLINA OHIO PENNSYLVANIA VIRGINIA

If these people are unable to vote due to flooding, power outages, lack of transportation, etc... what "backup plan" is there, if any? If the election were to be postponed, it would only seem fair to postpone it for *every* state and territory. It wouldn't be right if 16/50 states had to wait while the rest of the country votes on Nov. 6th.

Does anyone know if there is a law that provides for postponement in the event of a natural disaster?

Reply to
BurfordTJustice

G. Morgan formulated on Tuesday :

I'm sure we'll be okay (NH) by the time voting day comes. I'm wondering if this is the first time those blowhards have been upstaged like this though.

[...]
Reply to
FromTheRafters

I heard some where that many people in those states voted early in preparation for the storm.

Reply to
Jenn

Were they living people?

.

I heard some where that many people in those states voted early in preparation for the storm.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No matter what happens, no matter who wins, the opposing party will probably contest it and take it to the courts. Should be fun to watch.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I can't see them contesting the timing. Other than that, I am sure there will be fun. My hope is that Congress DOESN'T change the timing. I am not sure I can get through another week of wall-to-wall Super Pac ads without cutting my wrists.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Indeed. And multiple times to make up for the voters who couldnt make it next week.

Gunner

-- "President Obama is not going to lose. He will be re-elected. It is those of you who have these grand fantasies of that pip-squeak Romney actually having a chance at winning the election that will have to wake up to reality the day after the election. I hear there is plenty of room in the rest of the world where you can reside and establish new citizenship. Kirby Grant,

Reply to
Gunner

this election stands a excellent chance of being a tie, electoral college wise. with congress s gridlocked can you imagine them trying to decide?

this will likely lead to the end of the electoral college and going to a popular vote

Reply to
bob haller

The reality is the only real tossup state that was seriously hit by Sandy is Virginia. People in New Hampshire are survivors, not whiners, they will vote. Ohio has had a lot worse problems and they got to the polls. I don't think the other 3 you mentioned are up for grabs.

The real problems are in solid blue states that would have never gone to Romney in the first place.

The effect? Romney has a whole lot better chance of winning the popular vote but I don't think it helps him in the electoral college at all.

OTOH if these states were as civilized as Florida the residents would have until midnight Wednesday to get a vote by mail ballot on the way to them. You can fax in the request.

Reply to
gfretwell

NBC had a scenario where Romney would be President, Biden would be VP. Hey Joe, would you get me another coffee please!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

All of their votes will automatically be given to Mickey Mouse as a write-in. With any luck, he will win, since he's the best candidate at present.

Reply to
stoned

That seems to be the prevailing viewpoint.

Reply to
Jenn

After checking the Seattle Times and another source, I concur with some other posters. The Presidential election day can not change unless by Congress, not by the state. As to early voting or absentee voting, no idea but guessing the state.

Reply to
Doug

Per a story on NPR, at least one state allows extending the voting a day or two but there are very special conditions that probably can't be met. Like voter participation must be less than 25% of some sort of test of normal.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

Even if there were a clause in your constitution saying that elections could be postponed in the event of a natural disaster, that's not going to resolve the situation.

People would then be arguing over whether or not to invoke such a clause to delay the election, and whether or not doing that would affect the results of the election.

In my view, it's better to have the election on the scheduled day and let the chips fall where they may.

Truth be known, BOTH of your candidates would make for a good president. They have different slants on the Robin Hood politics of taking from the rich and giving to the poor, but beyond that, they're both experienced politicians, they're both intelligent and level headed people, they both have good advisors to choose from, and they'd both make good decisions.

Reply to
nestork

Title 3 USC 2 (the federal law) says " Whenever any State has held an election for the purpose of choosing electors, and has failed to make a choice on the day prescribed by law, the electors may be appointed on a subsequent day in such a manner as the legislature of such State may direct. "

The day prescribed by law is the tuesday after the first monday in November.

So it does go back to the state to decide if they don't have an answer by midnight on election night.

Think Florida 2000. The absolute deadline is the first Monday after the second Wednesday in December when the electors have to meet and cast the real vote. 3 USC 7 That was the hard deadline Florida was up against in 2000.

The final tally is reported in congress Jan 6

Reply to
gfretwell