Subject Author Posted Replies

sqeaky shoes
I recently got a new pair of knock around shoes made of plastic. They squeak when walking. I sprayed them with wd40 but they still squeak. what do I do to keep them quiet? Thanks for a reply
6
6

OT Another Dreamliner burns
On the ground @ Heathrow. Flights resume at Heathrow Airport after runways were closed for 90 minutes due to a fire on a parked Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 787 Dreamliner jet.
16
16

wrought iron gate doesn't close properly
Hi, I need to fix a wrought iron gate that doesn't close properly. Can I sledge hammer it or wonder bar it? I don't want to hurt it....about a foot of it is maybe bent? It protrudes a little by the...
5
5

Supco UET electronic defrost timers
Looking for reliability info on the UET Supco freezer defrost timer replacements. We have a 6 mos. old Whirlpool that has already had a defrost timer die. The warranty replacement is identical and I...
3
3

what to ask Roofing guy/company
Hi Today one roofing company/guy came to see my roof. He said you have 1 layer and he can put the new shingles on top of it or he can remove the existing one and put a new one but for double price. He...
25
25

Vinyl window repair
I have a 6 over 9 vinyl window, single hung, and the top window has lost a seal. I am pretty handy and would like to take out the 6 pane window and replace it but have no experience with vinyl windows...
5
5

GFI outlet problem
My electric oven is on its own 220V 50amp circuit. It recently started to throw a GFI outlet on a separate circuit (110V) when my wife turned the oven light on. Now it's started to throw the same GFI...
20
20

Caution Using Kwikset Smart*Key
I've recently had to use these and if you re-key per instructions (using the tool) then you have a lock that will work with 2 different keys...you haven't changed the key. You have added another one...
6
6

what is best glue to use?
I have a Silver Chest, circa 1950 that may have been dropped on a corner. The top is cracked. the corners have given way, and the interior shelf is loose. What is the best glue to use? epoxy based,...
3
3

home office light bulb issue
I have a home office in my spare bedroom. My overhead light fixture, which just uses one 60W light bulb, blew on Monday. I replaced the light bulb a nd used it yesterday while working. Late last...
30
30

leaking roof + insulation recomendation
Hi It has been raining like crazy here in Toronto to the point many houses flo oded. I noticed that some part of my roof are leaking. I noticed that in th e attic which has no insulation so the water...
10
10

Goodbye Internet
Have any of you noticed how the newsgroups are getting less and less used lately. Even this group ( used to be much more active, and the posts were much more on topic. These days use has significantly...
7
7

Moving a mattress
Preparing for a do-it-yourself move. Challenge is a California King foam mattress situated on the second floor. This was a hassle enough bringing in while new, it was wrapped and compressed. Any...
9
9

Be careful when the power goes off
A local business with apartments upstairs caught on fire recently after a storm knocked out the electricity. The storm caused flooding in the area, and because of the flooding, the building and other...
2
2

refrigerator runs
I have an old Maytag side by side refrigerator that my wife says runs all the time. Today she said the eggs were frozen so maybe she's right. Over the weekend I vacuumed out the bottom and as much of...
24
24