$80 Hammer-- if only it was 1975. . .

If I was 40 years younger and didn't drive nails with air [or use screws when I can] - I'd really be drooling over this.

They were listed in a made in the USA list someplace.

19 oz, straight claw, waffle head, magnet nail holder, available with 18" curved hickory handle.

anybody still framing with driven nails? is this practical, or just a nice piece of furniture?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

It's a gold mine. No one ever went broke overestimating the stupidity of the average idiot who has managed, somehow, to accumulate $80. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 08:50:36 -0500, Jim Elbrecht wrote in Re $80 Hammer-- if only it was 1975. . .:

I don't see any obvious functional advantage over a 20oz straight hickory handle framing hammer. I might change my mind if I tried one, but without trying it first I don't see an advantage.

Reply to
CRNG

Unless one were professional framer, there would be little advantage. Their forte is that the hardened center core waffle lasts longer than most others on the market before the waffling gets to where it's of little or no use.

Look at the pictures towards bottom at

I've seen one; not used it...they do feel good. The framer who had it said it had indeed outlasted the titanium Stilleto that are roughly same price...he personally didn't care too much about the recessed waffle but it did leave less of a mark but wouldn't consider it a finish hammer if that were really the issue...

--

Reply to
dpb

Looks like another "look what I invented" thingy.

I see a major problem with it that is not explained in the cite: If the strikign surface is "protected by a raised outer rim" how in the hell do you drive a nail flush? I can just picture how clumsy it wwould be with that oversized head trying to toenail something. As for finish nails? Again, no way to flush drive unless using a nail set. Very few carpenters would do that in regular work.

Yes, I have done construction work to include buildign an 18' x 30' addition to my house from digging the foundation to installing the steel siding.

Favorite is a 20 oz framing hammer, straight handle, smooth face. Gets used for everything from driving 20p spikes to little bitty brads.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

In 1975, the min wage was between a buck and two bucks an hour. If there was a min, at all.

Now it's what, 7.75? So, figure that eighty dollar hammer would be, well, price times about five. About $400 or so?

.

They were listed in a made in the USA list someplace.

19 oz, straight claw, waffle head, magnet nail holder, available with 18" curved hickory handle.

anybody still framing with driven nails? is this practical, or just a nice piece of furniture?

Jim

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thats the only way I frame and build anything. Personally I hate nail guns. Not only are they dangerous, but here is no way in hell that I'm going to lug around a heavy air compressor, and heavy nail gun, and pay

3 times what plain nails cost for the gun nails. Not to mention when I place a stud and put in the first nail, I can align the stud as I hammer, unlike the gun who shoots the nail and the force often mis-aligns the stud, leaving me with a tough nail to remove and start over again. I have been building stuff with a hammer for 50+ years, and thats the way I'll build for the rest of my life. I can drive a nail with a hammer almost as fast as a nail gun. On top of all that, I get some exercise with a hammer, and save electricity. It's just this screwed up younger generation who spends most of their time pushing buttons on cellphones that need this powered crap. That's why most of them are fat and lazy.

Add to that, the fact that if the compressor is too small, one has to wait for it to pump up again..... During that time period, I can pound lots of nails with a hammer.

Reply to
razzledazzle

Not me. Nail guns do a far better job, faster.

Perhaps it's a bid to get some of that stimulus money that'll soon be flying around again.

Reply to
krw

Just buy the damn thing if you like it. Who cares what anyone else thinks, or whether it's fairly priced, or lives up to the marketing hype, or whether you're ever going to need it? 80 bucks is cheap satisfaction.

Reply to
Smitty Two

I had a fellow show me a hammer from a bag of tools a guy gave him to satisfy a bar tab. In the bag was an interesting claw hammer, there was something odd about the way it felt in my hand so I looked it up on The Interweb. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

As I suggest in my subject line-- If it was 1975 I might get some use and satisfaction out of it.

I'll spend it on Bourbon these days. I gave up caring what other folks think about 50 years ago.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

It really has to suck to be you and be so filled with hatred that even a discussion of a tool has to become a [misguided] political diatribe.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

On 12/7/2012 12:37 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote: ...

Make it a good single malt Scotch and I'll join ye; otherwise "not so much"... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

My, my, you're touchy about your pal, the chimp.

Reply to
krw

Consider the book: "What Do You Care What Other People Think?" by Richard Feynman. Here's a sampling:

[Ring-ring]

Feynman: "Hello."

Caller: Is the Dr. Feynman?"

Feynman: "Yes."

Caller: "Dr. Richard P. Feynman?"

Feynman: (wearily) "Yes."

Caller: "Dr Feynman, my name is Margaret Tibbetts. I am the United States Ambassador to the Court of Olav V of Norway. I am pleased to inform you that you have been awarded the 1965 Nobel Prize in Physics !"

Feynman: "Do you have any idea what the hell time it is in California?"

Caller: "Er... No."

Feynman: "It is 3:00 o'clock in the goddamn morning ! Call back after nine !"

[click]

Caller: ???

Reply to
HeyBub

Wouldn't ever happen to me. I don't answer the phone unless I'm awake, alert, and recognize the caller ID. . . . and want to talk to that person at that time.

Jim [If they *really* wanted to give me that prize, they'd drive out to the house with it-- Like Ed McMahon used to do.]

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I suspect a caller ID of: "Ambassador - Court of Saint James, London" might cause your curiosity to trump your determination.

Reply to
HeyBub

I don't recall "caller ID" being available in 1965, and not many people had answering machines or phones with "ringer off" switches, either.

Reply to
Smitty Two

Don't think so. If it is important they'll leave a message.

OTOH- If Im feeling like messing with somebody, I might pick up. [though not at 3am- they'd have to nuke the neighborhood to wake me]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Ain't thread-drift fun?

FWIW- No switch, but a piece of cardboard would silence one of Ma Bell's 500 phones, just fine.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht