705 Dewalt compound saw

A friend of mine has his saw in the repair shop, and now can't afford the $173 to get it out after a rebuild.

He wants $20 for the claim ticket, and I've seen the saw. Used, but still got life in it.

Is this any deal on a used saw like that?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Good saw.. I bought one new in 1998 (About 300 bux) still works fine. I think I should give him $ 25.00 for it though..otherwise, after you pick it up, he'll probably borrow it from you "forever" and you, being a "nice guy" wouldn't ask for "his" saw back would you ;-)

Reply to
Rudy

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 01:55:58 -0600, "SteveB" wrote Re 705 Dewalt compound saw:

Let's give this some thought.

Your friend is very familiar with this saw, but doesn't think it's worth the $173 to get out of the shop. (If he did, he would find a way to get the $$). Obviously he has used it a lot since it needed a rebuilt. Or possibly it needed a rebuild after very little use.

He wants to sell it to you for $193 ($173 + $20) because he doesn't think it's worth $173.

Reply to
Vic Dura

I have that same saw and it's okay but beware the pivot pin that holds the saw to the base.

It has a tendency to work it's way out.

As for paying that kind of money for a used saw I don't know.

My neighbor just bought this saw for $99 on sale and for the life of me I really can't find anything wrong with it.

It even comes with a 40-tooth thin-kerf carbide blade.

I suppose if you are going to use it all the time at work it may pay to go with a brand-name tool but otherwise I would go for value.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
greg6755

Or maybe he doesn't have the money?

Reply to
SteveB

There are several "Dewalt compound saw" available on Ebay for less. (There are several available for much more, too)

Reply to
HeyBub

Your local cragslist > tool section has one for sell - asking $300.00

Now, if you bought my DW 708 for $325.00 I would buy the DW 718 slider :-))

What was the reapir made on this saw?

-- Oren

Oren

New cord, bearings, brushes, armature, other things I don't have the slip with me at this time. Pretty good rebuild. I figure for what I want to use it for, it will be a good deal. I'm happy.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"Oren" wrote

I'm trying to get some major work done at the cabin this season. Had a late start due to medical problems. If I can do half what I want to do now, it will be a good season. Funny how cabins are measured in "seasons". One of the things I want to do is major deck work. A perfect use for the saw.

In the area, it is difficult to get good workmen during the "season", as they are working on high end "cabins." So, you end up with the derelicts and fugitives, or do it yourself. Most of the time, I like doing it myself.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Depends. A quality blade should be ~$125. Check for play, damaged fence/table, motor bearings, water damage, etc.

Reply to
Phisherman

Here is another DW705 with stand and accessories for $300.00.

The crown stops alone are about $50.00

-- Oren

Oren

$50 for crown stops is robbery when you can use double-sided carpet tape and a couple wooden scraps. I've installed thousands of feet of crown molding.

Reply to
Phisherman

It see your point. The wife wanted some crown, a chair rail and new base. I got a new DW708 saw out of the deal, but I did pay for the stops.... but I'm a DIY. You ole farts know the tricks :-))

-- Oren

Oren